1. TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users. Ask a question and give support. Join the community here.
    TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users.
    Ask a question and give support.
    Join the community here, it only takes a minute.
    Dismiss Notice

Mobile device center will not sync/MS Office 2007 seems to have installation issues

By Karmashock
Oct 13, 2009
  1. First, I've reinstalled everything several times.

    Every time I open an office app a window appears that asks me to wait while Windows configures office 2007. That doesn't actually bother me too much. I could live with that. The real problem is that mobile device center won't sync contacts/etc with my phone.

    Every time I try I get this error "active sync encountered a problem on the desktop". I think it's related to this "windows needs to configure" thing. I've looked all over the internet and can't find a solution to this issue. I've deleted/recreated the partnerships several times. I did have an issue like this on my XP machine that had active sync 4.5 on it and recreating the partnership fixed the issue. But nothing seems to fix this problem.

    At least I need an alternative way to get these contacts to sync via some other means. If I need to use third party software or whatever.
  2. Karmashock

    Karmashock TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 223

    The computer doesn't get very specific on the problem but the phone had this error buried in the active sync menu:
    Support code: 0x85010014

    I searched around for that and it seemed to be talking about exchange servers and all sorts of things well beyond the software I'm using here.

    Any idea how to fix this? Ideally, at this point I want a manual fix if possible. Is there a file I can manually replace, a config file I can edit, a registry setting I can change? Because the automatic systems seem to be working very badly and I'd trust my own ability to fix this over some new widget.
  3. Karmashock

    Karmashock TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 223

    Well I found a solution.

    It's not a good one but it works.

    Get EssentialPIM Pro. It basically takes over the sync operation from WMDC and everything works perfectly. Which just underlines something I suspected a while ago...

    WMDC and Outlook are very badly programmed. This is clearly not a complicated problem. The disk is visible on both sides. That all essentialPIM is doing is reading the pst file and the corresponding file on the PPC and comparing them. There's no reason that should go to an unrecoverable error unless there is a problem with accessing those two files... which there clearly isn't.

    Really, MS needs to either take responsibility for how their systems work like Apple does or step back the way that linux generally does. Hell, I wouldn't even mind if they picked and choosed one program at a time like that. But this half and half stuff is just lazy. Locking everyone out and then not improving the product is asinine.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Similar Topics

Add New Comment

You need to be a member to leave a comment. Join thousands of tech enthusiasts and participate.
TechSpot Account You may also...