Mobile payments startup Square reportedly in talks with several rivals for a possible sale

Himanshu Arora

Staff

Mobile payments startup Square has been in talks with various big companies for a possible sale, according to the Wall Street Journal. The San Francisco-based company has been facing losses and is also running low on cash.

Square is a merchant services aggregator and mobile payments company which was founded in 2009 by Twitter co-founder Jack Dorsey and Jim McKelvey. As per the report, the company recorded a loss of about $100 million in 2013, and has consumed more than half of the around $340 million it raised from at least four rounds of equity financing since 2009.

People familiar with the matter told WSJ that the startup had acquisition-related discussions with Google earlier this year. The company also had informal talks with Apple and PayPal about a possible deal, the report notes.

Although none of the involved parties have yet acknowledged the talks, if a deal does happen, the company could fetch billions.

Square's credit card readers, that slot into smartphones, are used by nearly one million merchants, allowing them to accept credit or debit-card payments anywhere. The company generates just 2.75 percent on all card transactions, and pays a significant amount to card companies, which leaves it with a small profit margin. The start-up processed more than $20 billion in transactions last year, yielding around $550 million in revenue.

Permalink to story.

@JC
Give FB some credit, as it is beating the hell out of Google with its mobile strategy, hence, the continuous fall of ads 'per click' rate for Google in recent times.

It stinks how they are losing so much money. It is a great idea. I hope a good company like Google or Apple picks them up if anything. Please not Facebook though xD.
I wouldn't go so far as to call Google & Apple good companies but they are wealthy and they didn't become wealthy by playing Mr Nice Guy. :)

Google hasn't needed my support thus far, so I see nothing stopping them. But goddamn, I wish that company would die.
That makes me wonder what happened to the days when Coca Cola was the wealthiest company around and they held that title for ages. Unfortunately I don't think you'll see Google disappearing anytime soon but remember absolutely nothing is forever.

That makes me wonder what happened to the days when Coca Cola was the wealthiest company around and they held that title for ages. Unfortunately I don't think you'll see Google disappearing anytime soon but remember absolutely nothing is forever.

Exactly, point proved by recent drop in its share price.

Back