MOBO Beeps but everything running fine?

Technicalfault

So I have a B450 Tomahawk Max (MSI) and occasionally I’ll get beeps from it. Timing seems random and everything is running fine. MSI is wanting me to clear the CMOS and test the PC with minimal components connected but this felt like a copy and paste diagnosis with no attention paid to my initial question.

Sometimes I get a single “beep” after start up

Sometimes 2 beeps when doing nothing in particular, maybe using Edge.

I got 3 beeps ONCE and not really sure what I was doing.

And sometimes I get 4 beeps that sound like “beepabeepa” so like.. a high low fast beeps. (Maybe that’s just 2 but that’s how it sounds when it beeps rapid)

should I be worried if everything is behaving as it should? Also, window is telling me the PC is healthy under their PC Health check thing but I dunno what that really checks for. Iv tried reseating the RAM, even going as far and switching their slots, booting, shutting down, switching back.

I’m at a loss and feel I should be concerned but.. I mean it’s operating fine so.. I dunno.

Single beep during start up is normal ...beeps during use wouldn't be normal. I am not familiar with the beep codes your board has but I am sure you can find that out with a Google search for your POST beep codes <insert your board here in the search>.

Single beep during start up is normal ...beeps during use wouldn't be normal. I am not familiar with the beep codes your board has but I am sure you can find that out with a Google search for your POST beep codes <insert your board here in the search>.
Thank you for the reply.

It would appear the beeps are all related to memory from what I’ve researched but everything runs so well, and I’ve reseated twice, that I’m having a hard time believing it’s nothing more than a glitch.

MSI recently responded (after I added more details) saying to try updating the BIOS. Some research also has lead me to believe this is a common glitch of the b450 Tomahawk Max as others have this issue with no known cause.

I suppose at the end of the day, if it’s running fine it’s fine. Also.. beep codes several hours after fully booted.. does that even usually happen? My understanding was always beep codes only happen at initial POST

Thank you for the reply.

It would appear the beeps are all related to memory from what I’ve researched but everything runs so well, and I’ve reseated twice, that I’m having a hard time believing it’s nothing more than a glitch.

MSI recently responded (after I added more details) saying to try updating the BIOS. Some research also has lead me to believe this is a common glitch of the b450 Tomahawk Max as others have this issue with no known cause.

I suppose at the end of the day, if it’s running fine it’s fine. Also.. beep codes several hours after fully booted.. does that even usually happen? My understanding was always beep codes only happen at initial POST
I agree with you...POST beeps should usually occur at boot time but I am not sure why they are happening during use. RAM errors can be a big problem. Maybe check Passmark's Memtest (free) to test your RAM with

I agree with you...POST beeps should usually occur at boot time but I am not sure why they are happening during use. RAM errors can be a big problem. Maybe check Passmark's Memtest (free) to test your RAM with
I’ll give this a try when I get home, Thanks!

if it checks out, I’ll assume it’s just a BIOS update is needed and if that doesn’t fix it MSI might just exchange the MOBO.

thanks again for the help.

Yep yep...BIOS updates usually address RAM compatibility. Just avoid BIOS updates with letters after them like 60f ,..those letters indicate beta which are experimental =)

There might be a CPU heat warning beep. Check the board codes. If it's set too low, it will go off at seemingly random times..

I had a micro case with the CPU overheat warning set to 50 C. I took out the IDE optical drive(s) and installed a single SATA drive. When I got rid of the 2" wide IDE cable, the case airflow improved enough to allow the heat warning not to trigger. (at the same setting).

Ubuntu "live" used to come with "memtest86" as a boot option. If your're getting random memory glitches, I'd suggest making multiple passes with that. It allows up to 7 (? I think).

Last edited:
I’ll look into this as a possibility although I’m leaning heavily on it just needing a bios update. I’ve seen nothing performance wise that would suggest memory issues and the GPU is running at optimal temperatures along with the beep codes all being related to memory.

However, I haven’t confirmed the bios maker yet, so I could have the wrong beep codes altogether.
I’ll definitely keep this in mind as a potential cause and check what the warning temp is set to if update doesn’t resolve. Thanks for the input!

Back