Mobo fan failed

Status
Not open for further replies.

13ishop

My MSI-K8N Neo4 mobo has a fan to the right of the pci slots and it has stopped running. Is there a way to remedy this or at least replace the fan as opposed to buying a new mobo?

Yes you can replace the fan

But confirm all plugs are secure first, and also vacuum out all dust too (power out)

First thing i did was blow the dust out to see if the fan was clogged but it isn't. How would u confirm the connectivity of the plugs?

You see that sticker on the fan
If you peel it back, and take the grommit out
You can put a little greese down there, which may help

Also I'm wondering if this is thermostatically controlled (turns on only when hot)

I'm not sure if it does that or not. I seemed to notice it turning on at start up, but that could be a coincidence. I am not sure how to find out whether or not the fan is thermostatic.

There is nothing under the sticker it's just a decal. How would I find out whether or not the fan is thermostatic?

I'm sorry to be such a newb when it comes to hardware but I really don't know where to look and thanks for trying.

I'm thinking it is thermostatically controlled
I suppose you could check the temps in CMOS
But the real test is to leave it on and wait to see if it starts, when things get a bit warm

I touched the fan and it was hot enough to burn. Are you suggesting I let it get hot or do something to make it get hot? Wouldn't it be better to run some type of diagnostic?

I did download speedfan and will configure it and see what it says. I'm pretty sure that the fan runs constantly if it is working because when I touch the fan it tries to spin but doesn't work. Also, I don't know how to use CMOS to check my temp values. When I looked at CMOS it didn't say anything about temp levels. It is getting late so thanks for any help and if someone can tell me how to tell if its a problem with the fan or something else the information would be appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back