Mobo not detecting any IDE peripherals

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am new to the site and have liked what I found here so far. But here is my problem...

I am upgrading my mobo on an older system that I have. I purchased an Asus M2N-SLI Socket AM2 mobo. I installed the mobo and realized that I that I would need to save my data from my HD's so I reinstalled my old mobo. After my old one was in, I just decided to scrap the data from the HD's and do a fresh install. After, I installed the new Asus back in and booted up, it didnt detect any of my IDE peripherals. I have 2 HD's, an 80g and a 120g along with 2 CD drives including a Memorex DL DVD-R. None of them are being recognized.

I tried clearing the Bios by removing the battery and moving the jumpers like the booklet said, but it still didnt solve my problem. The mobo is SATA capable and I looked in the bios and the SATA is disabled. The jumpers on the drives are in the right spots as well. Still cant figure out what the problem is.

Need help!!! Please and thank you.

There may be an option in your bios for ide/sata support. I know my board has it, although yours is a different brand it may be an optional fix.

Just plug the main drive in (set to CS) and plugged into IDE0
Leave all the other (3) unplugged, from the Motherboard end

Start your computer
Does it detect your drive?
If so, plug in each of the other devices (ie DVD Drive) one at a time, then boot up again

Thanks for the quick replies.

I tried looking for the the IDE/SATA support in my BIOS and could not find it and i tried plugging in only the main drive in by itself and still nothing. Another thing I noticed is that there is no noise coming from the drive. I am running a 650 Watt Antec True Power Trio. It is brand new just out of the box. Could my power supply be bad?

So is it a new Sata or IDE (known as ATA) Drive?

Also just use another power connector (they squeeze in a long way too)

Both drives are from my old system (ATA). And I did try another connector. No change. At this time I dont have access to a voltmeter to test the connectors, or another power supply for that matter. I used my new Power supply to power my old Mobo, could that have caused problems for the power supply?

When the power is plugged into the (disconnected data cable ) DVD Drive, can you open and close the door (via the front button) ?

If so the power is working (unknown voltage, but at least it works, or not)

Anyway, try another data cable on the HardDrive

Both 24 pin and 4 pin power supplies connected?

Using an 80 wire/40 pin IDE cable for the hard drives with Master on Black and Blue connected to the mobo?

Have placed the standoffs in the proper position?

Front panel power switch properly connected?

Okay I feel dumb...turns out the the brand new ribbon cable that came with my new mobo was bad. So, I just used my old cable and it worked just fine. Detected all the drives. Thanks for all the help.

Just have one more question/problem. Is it possible to get my hard drive with my OS already loaded on it to boot with the new mobo? Or do I have to do a fresh install?

Ok so it was the data cable. That's easy, glad it's resolved.

Replacing the Motherboard usually means Repairing Windows (ie Not a fresh install)

But if the new Motherboard has the same CPU chipset, it may just work without any repair.

Here's the best option.
Confirm all data backed up to external media
Replace the Motherboard, and fit the original HardDrive
Boot up !

If you receive any errors (not new driver installs; but actual errors)
Then continue on to the Repair option
Note: If you have the time, a fresh install, is always cleaner (but there may be issues along the way, ie Drivers; locating programs, and updates)

Please let us know how the Repair goes, with your new Motherboard (if or when it is installed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back