Modded and crashed!

sniper420

I have Dell laptop M1330 which after four years of service, the fan started to make noise and then it started to heat badly that I could not place my hand on it. I decided to copper mod as here http://forum.notebookreview.com/del...0-nvidia-geforce-8400m-gs-copper-mod-147.html

Got thinner copper shin stated above and changed my fan and applied thermal for first time. I switch on my computer, but I hear my fan on full speed. I leave it on for 2 hours and return to check the heating and place my hand beside the mouse section and it is not heated much. Then after 2 hours as I was going to sleep BHAM! it switches off on its own! I tried to swtich on it loads on BIOS and sticks and at times provides warning like "Your computer switched off because of overheating .... fan section is blocked etc..... at times it switches off on it's own before even loading the OS. BIOS A15

Here are my specs LED with camera / 4 GB DDR2 667 / 320 GB 7200RPM / 128 MB NVIDIA 8400M GS / Black casing / Intel wireless-N / 6+9 cell batteries / Win XP Sp3/ BIOS A15

Does it turn off "instantly" with no warnings?

Im guessing you answered your own question to be honest.

Sounds like it has overheated, Double check all your fans and connections are plugged and clean, Check your heatsinks are all in contact with chips (copper plate mod may have raised it) and the thermal paste is ok.

If you are still getting a " instant" power off with no shut down warnings, its possible you have damaged hardware :(

I tried yesterday and it was about to log into the windows and then instantly shut down. Any idea how can diagonize the problem?

I tried switching on and it logged in for 4 hours I monitored the temperature of video card GPU which was very high 86 - 99 C and around 100 it had glitches and started to slow down the system. I switched off and switched on again , It failed to log on and switched off again.

I do not understand on this is previously to mod it used to heat up so much that if i place my hand on laptop it used to be very hot. Now I replaced the fan and it is a great fan and heating problem is gone but GPU heats and shuts down the BIOS which is very strange.

One question I have is if I tighten the screws would it make huge difference in temperature?

Sorry for the late reply.

Just be sure your cpu and gpu Chips have thermal paste on them and the heatsink is making good contact with both. Screwing down your heatsink is very important.

If your still having problems, i would say you have probably damaged your gpu, you can diagnose this by stressing your GPU with a benchmarking application like furmark.

If it turns off sooner when the gpu is under load, im guessing its damaged.

I do not understand on this is previously to mod it used to heat up so much that if i place my hand on laptop it used to be very hot. Now I replaced the fan and it is a great fan and heating problem is gone but GPU heats and shuts down the BIOS which is very strange.

The bottom of the laptop is probably not heating up because the GPU is not properly contacting the heatsink, which then cannot in turn transfer heat to the outside of the laptop. My guess is that you did not use a thick enough piece of copper on the mod. Your safest bet would probably be to just put back the original thermal pad, provided you still have it.

Back