Modem+Router - Crappy Wireless

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Dynalink RTA1046VW and it's a Modem + Router.
Although, the wireless is extremely horrible and even in my own room, in the corner, I get 75 percent signals.

Where as, earlier, We had a separate modem and a separate Router. That was on Telstra.

So what I was wondering was, if it's possible to connect my Router ( Netgear WGR614 v7) to the Dynalink and make this act as the main wireless router, and not use Dynalink's. I just don't know how exactly to do the wiring. Or how to set it up.

I would've used my netgear as a repeater but it can't act as one. Hence I thought this idea I'm thinking here, could be possible.

Much appreciated. Thanks!

We need to know a lot more about your configuration, but using the Netgear gives you the options you need... It depends on what sort of high speed internet you have and how you are connected... Cable Modem, etc... Who is your provider of High Speed internet.
Usually the problem is simply corrupted or incomplete installs that are best dealt with by uninstalling them and starting from scratch.

I was wondering was, if it's possible to connect my Router ( Netgear WGR614 v7) to the Dynalink and make this act as the main wireless router
YES, you can 99% of the time connect
Code:
any modem---anyWiFi router
and use the new routers wifi.

The steps would be
  1. wire your system directly to the modem
  2. login and disable the wifi support on that device
  3. save the settings (which will reboot the router and disconnect you)
The above would stop that device from possible interference from the new router.
We could also ignore it if you can't get access to the modem settings.

When ready, just wire the modem to the wifi router WAN port and the LAN ports will then be available for any systems.

There is an issue that you may need to address; the ISP frequently
use the MAC address of your computer to validate that you are a customer they know.
Get a command prompt and enter ipconfig /all and look for
Code:
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : XX-YY-ZZ-AA-BB-DD
that's the MAC address

Now logon the wifi router and look for the WAN side configuration and enable
masquerade as this MAC XX-YY-ZZ-AA-BB-DD (whatever you saw)

While you're into that router, set
  1. the DHCP range from 2-X, where X is just 2 or three more than the count of all your
    systems plus the number of GUEST users that you may wish to allow on your network
  2. a new SSID
  3. change the channel, not 1, not 6 and not 11
    (those are common defaults and you want to get to a channel that is seldomly used by others :) )
  4. for now, leave the encryption off [we'll come back to it later ]
  5. set a new admin password
  6. save the settings and it will disconnect you and restart the router.

Disconnect from the new router, enable your wifi adaptor on the laptop,
and look for your new SSID; connect to it and you should have full Internet access.

Once you've proven you have a connection, you really need to enable encryption
and use (in this order) WPA2, WPA, Wep ; but use WEP only if the others fail
[it happens :(]

Be sure to use a wired connection to the wifi router to make any change in the setup,
or you risk messing it up really good!

You might take the preemptive effort to look for new firmware for both the wifi router and your laptop adaptor -- many times we see known issues arise that are solved by updates to the firmware

The sole caution to the update would be 64bit systems, especially Win/7 64bit -- drivers are an issue for some OEMs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back