Monitor doesn't start when computer boots

I'm kind of stuck here...

First what happened: last night my computer froze so I turned it off and then back on. However, when I did, the monitor just remained in standby as if the computer was not on. Everything on the computer seems to be working ok (fans going, lights on, etc). I also don't hear any beeps during the startup.

I've been browsing a lot of forums trying to figure out what is wrong, but I'm somewhat lost. I don't know that much about computers...
It seems some of these forums say the main culprits for a problem like this are the graphics card or the motherboard? Is this true?

Since every thread always has someone asking for specs - here they are:
Intel i7 940
Asus p6t intel x58 chipset sle/crossfirex mainboard triple-channel x
800w power supply
1 TB SATA II 3.0 gb 7200rpm HD
3 x 2GB DDR3 PC3 PC1333
1 x EVGA nvdia gtx 260 896mb pci-e
windows vista home premium

What I've done so far:
I have tried unplugging it and holding down the power button in the front for about 1 minute. 90% of the time this did nothing. One time it started to boot correctly with the monitor only to freeze during the windows load up bar and 1 other time it didn't even make it that far...
I have tried using another monitor on the computer. Same problem. I have also tried using my main monitor on another computer and it works fine.

I have been running this setup for almost 2 years, and nothing has been changed recently...

I would greatly appreciate any help in determining what is actually the problem, and maybe a way I can fix it. Even a "____ is broken, get a new one" would be nice too. I just want to understand this a little more about what is happening since I know very little. And I also want to know how I can have a running computer ASAP.

Also...is there any way to actually tell if my computer is running properly if I have no monitor to see stuff on?

Thank you very much!

Try booting in safe mode. Obviously your card is not 100% fried, as you're getting some kind of images when you load.

Do you have another video card that you can try out?

Basically the idea is to troubleshoot one component at a time until you can identify the culprit.

You've already ruled out the monitor, if you can do the same thing with the video card (use this one in another computer, and put another one that works into this computer) then you can see if this is the problem.

Back