Monitor flickers due to GPU?

bloodman

Hey everybody. Recently, about a month ago my monitor backlight began to flicker and would sometimes just stay dark for a long time. If you shine a light to the screen during one of these "episodes" you can faintly see a display. So I figured at the time that it was a monitor issue and since it was pretty old anyway I bought a new one off Amazon, but now this one is having the same exact problem! The backlight will either flicker continually, go black completely or go black for 2 seconds and come back. Sometimes it won't do this and work properly until I shut the computer off, but the problem will resume when I start it back up.

I've had the same problem with two different monitors and used two different cables. I checked the inside of the computer for loose cables and such. I seriously have no idea what's going on. Right now it's working fine, but this morning was flickering like crazy. Is this a graphics card problem? I do remember when this all started that I accidentally bumped against the tower with my knee, possibly making something loose inside.

It just seems weird to me that a graphics card would have anything to do with a monitor back light.

Have u tried plugging the screen into another computer?

Yes. I hooked it to my dads laptop and I still got really bad flickering and after an hour it went black but was still getting a signal. Ever since I posted this thread I've been using my LG LED tv and it's been fine. I don't know why my tv isn't flickering but my monitor is.

As I'm typing this right now though, I'm using my monitor which isn't flickering at all. I've left it off, unplugged since my first post. There is no doubt that it will start to flicker sooner or later, the question is why.

I played with the refresh rate, and still it would happen.

I just woke up my PC from sleep mode and the screen flashed a white light for 2 seconds before showing the desktop. This is not normal.

if dropping the herz rate (maximum of 60Hz) dosn't do anything then it might be the cord (VGA or HTMI) try swapping it out for a new one

Bad monitor

Sounds like your monitor is shot. If you've hooked it to two different computers and the problem persists I would be willing to bet its the monitor back light controller.

Yea, but BOTH monitors? I'm willing to bet that it was my graphics card artifacting and that it somehow affected both monitors. Question is, is that even possible?

I have flickering problem only after the computers been off for a while, it only lasts about 1 minute. Samsung 226bw. After much searching it turns out that the power capacitors are faulty and need to be checked and replaced. But in your case you tried 2 monitors so I can only see that the lead is the logical step to check next.

graphics

is your graphics card able to change monitor settings? ie. color, size, hue, brightness, contrast, things like this?

It's not the GPU lol, and its not your computer. However its most probably your speakers and monitor not liking each other. anyhow let us know further,,,gl

Hey everybody. Recently, about a month ago my monitor backlight began to flicker and would sometimes just stay dark for a long time. If you shine a light to the screen during one of these "episodes" you can faintly see a display. So I figured at the time that it was a monitor issue and since it was pretty old anyway I bought a new one off Amazon, but now this one is having the same exact problem! The backlight will either flicker continually, go black completely or go black for 2 seconds and come back. Sometimes it won't do this and work properly until I shut the computer off, but the problem will resume when I start it back up.

I've had the same problem with two different monitors and used two different cables. I checked the inside of the computer for loose cables and such. I seriously have no idea what's going on. Right now it's working fine, but this morning was flickering like crazy. Is this a graphics card problem? I do remember when this all started that I accidentally bumped against the tower with my knee, possibly making something loose inside.

It just seems weird to me that a graphics card would have anything to do with a monitor back light.

Tweakboy might have a valid point - I'd check for interference from other devices. It might not necessarily be speakers, but it sounds like there might be some sort of electromagnetic interference.

Have you tried moving the computer, or bringing the laptop into another part of the house to test a monitor on it?

Tweakboy might have a valid point - I'd check for interference from other devices. It might not necessarily be speakers, but it sounds like there might be some sort of electromagnetic interference.

Have you tried moving the computer, or bringing the laptop into another part of the house to test a monitor on it?

Thank you Zilpha. gb

Back