Monitor goes out of sync

Pink

Ok so, i was using a Radeon Hd 4670 512 and whenever i turned on my pc, it would show me the bios and everything, sometime even go into the windows loading screen, and then the monitor (which is a samsung lcd 22") would go out of sync (show the analog digital thingy at the top left).

So i switched that gpu with a radeon hd 4550, and it worked fine the entire day yesterday, so i left the pc on during the night. when i woke up, the monitor was out of sync. Is this an electricity problem? what is this?

Thanks

"what is this?"...

It may be an indication of the samsung lcd 22 beginning to fail. Try another monitor, to make sure that it is the Samsung. LCD's do go bad ;)

I though of that, but i'm pretty sure its not that.
I didn't give out too many details, but the old gpu was failing gradually, and before it failed completely, i would only go out of sync if i was in some game. i could use the pc at will, but as soon as i opened some realtime graphics program, (such as 3dmark) it would go out of sync, the pc would lock down, keyboard leds wont respond and the audio will get stuck in a loop.

My guess would be either the power source, mobo, or a faulty plug... could i be right?

A few more details would've been good.
Like, is your LCD too old? Or has a rat nibbled off your wires? It's not easy to tell this way.

Lol ok,

I have no rats or other rodents roaming in my apartment. my LCD is 1.6 years old.
The old gpu (the 4670) is now working on my pc, i have speedfan working and the GPU temp is between 65 to 70c. (used to be 45 to 55c on neutral)

What will happen, is when i open some game, or sometimes even a video, the screen will give me that analog/digital thing it does when you first turn it on, and windows will make that sound it does when something gets disconnected. I then check my gpu to see if the fan is still running, and it is, so it's not like the gpu was disconnected.

For the last 5 days, the pc would turn on and the monitor would go out of sync (with the 4670)
but last night, i took the gpu to test in on a friend's pc, and it worked fine. So when i brought it back to my pc, it worked fine as wel (just getting really really hot, and i haven't changed anything with my setup.)

What else can i tell you guys?

That's odd...Sounds like thermal throttling to me. In simpler words: The temps are causing it to panic, it doesn't want to be roasted, so it commits temporary suicide. Haha. So I recommend you do something about the temps. Custom cooling? Exactly. If problem's persist, maybe someone more experienced can help you. But one thing I'd say: The temps are LETHAL.

"I though of that, but i'm pretty sure its not that"...

You can't be sure it is not the monitor unless you try another to make sure

Yeah, i've been having some electricity problems in my apartment, do you think an energy stabilizer would help out? (building is realllllly old, so theres power fluctuations all the time)

Isnt there something i can do to lower the temps without custom cooling? i mean this has just started out of the blue.... sometimes it works perfectly for days, and then it just wont turn on, and then it works normally again.... i feel like getting a hammer... or a bat...

And about the Monitor... i dunno, doesnt it sound a bit far fetched? i mean if it was the monitor, would it work with this gpu and not with the other? and i checked both cables (vga and dvi), multiple gpus, etc... i have absolutely no idea what is wrong with my pc, but im gonna try a different monitor somehow.

Yes, I too have a UPS, and it saved my rig twice. Try it.
And try another monitor. See if it's the problem. If you are using SLI or CrossFire and it's not properly configured, it MAY develop problems.
If you're OCing, maybe that's the source, or the fans are failing.
If another monitor works fine, it's yours that's going haywire, if it doesn't, it's your GPU to blame.

Ok, i sent my pc to repair. there were 3 blown capacitors on my mobo which were replaced, also an enormous amount of dust bunnies inside the PSU.

PC is turning on normally now, but there still out of sync problems... since a gpu is expensive i wanna make absolutely sure it's that before i buy a new one.
I will test my gpu on another computer with 3dMark

"Ok, i sent my pc to repair. there were 3 blown capacitors on my mobo which were replaced"...

Who did this repair? Usually, the motherboard is replaced for this kind of damage, especially after power surges

yea, somethings fishy with that. You might have gotten taken for a ride on this one. You sure the whole board wasn't replaced?

And i'm pretty sure he wouldn't charge me 20$ for the service and end up giving me a brand new mobo... lol

It is just very peculiar to have this type of repair, when so much else could be potentially wrong with that board. So is the video card still getting very hot? Have you replaced it with another card?

Well, something happened that burned those capacitors, so i just switched them. yeah, the gpu is getting extremely hot, 67c on neutral, without doing anything. i have tried with another card, still happened...

I'm thinking it's the PSU. It's faulty and getting too much power through to the mobo, that's why the capacitors bust, and that's the reason for the high temps.

Also, something weird is happening, the mobo won't post if the gpu isn't connected... i tried disconnecting both ram sticks, hds, dvd drives... anything, but it will only turn on if the gpu is connected.

Back