Monitor graphics card acting up?

thewolfe

Working on a Gateway ATXSTF MNT 700C, running XP and it has a Gateway FPD1810 monitor. And has a Radeon 9000 Series graphic card.

The sys tray has An ATI Catalyst control center. Only showing a pug and play monitor.

The monitor sometimes shows log-on screen and then goes into "power saving mode" which you can't get out of. Hard reboot.

If the monitor does stay on it almost always prompts to "Active Desktop Recovery screen". If I do that it screen goes to sleep have to hard reboot.

I have changed the connection from PC to monitor. No joy.

Also screen is freezing. Created a Sys restore and click on "Create" and screen froze. Ctrl, Alt, Delete will not work either.

New message - VPU Recover has reset your graphics accelerator as it was no longer responding to graphics driver commands.

Try running this test on the graphics card. Be very carefull with the temperatures.

http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/

FurMark Setup:
- If you have more than one GPU, select Multi-GPU during setup
- In the Run mode box, select "Stability Test" and "Log GPU Temperature"
Click "Go" to start the test
- Run the test until the GPU temperature maxes out - or until you start having problems (whichever comes first).
NOTE: Set the alarm to go off at 90ºC. Then watch the system from that point on. If the system doesn't display a temperature, watch it constantly and turn it off at the first sign of video problems. DO NOT leave it unmonitored, it can DAMAGE your video card!!!
- Click "Quit" to exit

You could also try reinstalling the graphics card drivers with the latest version.

Mark56, so this sounds like a graphic card problem to you. I'm now having problem getting it to boot up all the way.

It certainly sounds like it which is why I suggested you run the furmark test. If that passes then other things can be looked at like the RAM.

Many things can stop the boot up process including a faulty graphics card, faulty Ram or hard drive errors.

First thing I would do with a failing bootup is to remove all but one of the RAM sticks and test with each one in turn to see if you have a bad stick that is causing the problem.

Haven't given up on your idea but wanted to get it cleaned up with ccleaner, add an antivirus and firewall. I also downloaded a driver for the card.

I'll see how it's doing in the morning.

No problem. Please take my advise and do not use CCleaner to clean the registry. Registry cleaners can do more harm than good by deleting registry entries that the system requires to run correctly.

When you see the entries it selects for removal would you know which ones are needed and which ones should be deleted. Leaving a few orphan entries in the registry will do no harm and removing them will make no difference to the performance of your PC even if that runs into dozens of entries.

I agree with ccleaner. I only use it to clean cache, temp files and the like.

I cringe when someone I know tells me they just bought a reg cleaner, scares me.

Well, think I got it. I did two things. I turned off the screen saver and I went into "Power Options". They were set to Max Battery (it's a desktop). I changed them to Home/Office Desk with Never on Monitor, HD and Standby. The Max battery setting had Standby after 20 min.

Also ran Malwarebytes again and found some stuff in Sys Restore so I turned Sys Restore off and then back on so should have gotten rid of those nasty buggers.

Have had it on all day today and no freezing.

Thanks for the post

Sounds like you have done all the right things.

Post back if there are any more problems.

Back