More on Light Peak

Thunderbolt can work on both data streams at the same time and in both directions and it seems to get the full 10 Gbps of rated bandwidth, in each direction. This is what gives the technology the advantage over the USB 3.0 of today.

Yeah....copper sucks...:p <<<<sarcasm

Yeah....copper sucks...:p <<<<sarcasm

So, G, both Bulldozer and Ivy Bridge will arrive this year and AMD has already told us that they have implemented a USB 3.0 controller. I know that this will be only conjecture on your part, but do you see AMD boards implementing Light Peak or a combination of both LP and USB 3.0 with Bulldozer?

So, G, both Bulldozer and Ivy Bridge will arrive this year and AMD has already told us that they have implemented a USB 3.0 controller. I know that this will be only conjecture on your part, but do you see AMD boards implementing Light Peak or a combination of both LP and USB 3.0 with Bulldozer?

I don't know how they will be able to avoid LP if they wanted to. I think it will be both for a while however. what do you think?

I don't know how they will be able to avoid LP if they wanted to. I think it will be both for a while however. what do you think?

Well since AMD is definitely ramping up the information we know that manufacture's of AMD boards already have to have the specs needed to implement boards for retail. They have to have boards if they are going to have chips and from everything I have read dual-core Bulldozer offerings will be released first to the consumer market in Q2 of this year.

Since AMD has USB 3.0 controllers I would say the boards will have USB 3.0 and since Light Peak will be able to be utilized via the PCI-E 1x slot I have a feeling that a BIOS upgrade will enable this tech to exist as well on the first generation of the new AMD boards.

I will be really surprised if manufactures like Asus and Gigabyte didn't at least prepare for the contingency of Intel releasing Light Peak. I must say I didn't see Intel releasing Light Peak quite this soon. I figured it would be later this year coinciding with the Ivy Bridge release. But then again Sandy bridge has no 3.0 controller and now we know why because LP was ready in Q1.

I also contend that the vast majority of consumers will do quite fine with USB 3.0. I mean how many really utilize 2.0 to the fullest? The cost factor will come into play here. USB 3.0 is no slouch but of course it doesn't match the speed of LP.

Just my 2 cents worth. :)

Back