More teenagers are abandoning Facebook for YouTube, Snapchat, and Instagram

midian182

Staff member
Bottom line: Despite its very long list of controversies, Facebook is still able to boast over 2.38 billion monthly active users worldwide—a figure that continues to increase, albeit at a slower pace than we’ve seen in the past. But it appears that the social network doesn’t have the coolest of reputations amongst young people, who are abandoning it for other platforms.

A survey carried out by Business Insider alongside SurveyMonkey Audience partner Cint questioned 1,884 Americans aged 13 to 21 to discover the social media use of Generation Z (those born after 1996).

When asked which platforms they previously used but don’t anymore, Facebook came out top, with 30 percent saying they’ve walked away from Mark Zuckerberg’s product. This was closely followed by messaging service KiK (29.7 percent), then Skype (24.6 percent), Twitter (21 percent), and Instagram (20.3 percent).

Participants were also asked which platforms they check on a daily basis. While Facebook might be losing younger people, it seems plenty are still using Instagram, which it owns. The photo- and video-sharing network was first with 64.59 percent of votes, with YouTube second (62.48 percent) and Snapchat third (51.31 percent).

The survey paints an overall picture of Generation Z preferring Snapchat, YouTube, and Instagram over Facebook. Only 9.3 percent said they no longer used YouTube, while just over 18 percent have left Snapchat.

The results align with a survey from 2017, which showed that Facebook users in the 12 to 17 age group were set to decline for a second year, while a study from March revealed the company was losing US teens and millennials at a rapid pace.

Permalink to story.

Late Gen-X here, I hate Facebook! I still have it but I have been purging my data--which Facebook makes it very difficult to do BTW. I rarely ever post any more and the junk that is posted on there by other people drives me crazy. I stopped following so much stuff and my feed is still garbage and with the USA elections getting closer, it may be enough to make me just delete the entire account.

Spoiler alert, people born at or around the millennium (I.e. generation Z) are "millenials", just like people born at or around the population boom are "baby boomers"

Spoiler alert, people born at or around the millennium (I.e. generation Z) are "millenials", just like people born at or around the population boom are "baby boomers"

Gen-Y is the millennials (you're correct about the rough date range), Gen-Z came after millennials.

There is a definite market for a privacy-focused social media platform. Why can't anybody get this right? NO, we don't want it offered from Facebook, Google, or Microsoft.

Is everybody that is leaving just not caring about staying in touch with friends / family that are out of the same state or is everybody moving to a replacement platform that not many people have heard of? I refuse to believe Facebook can be replaced with Youtube or Instagram...

I doubt we can say that people are leaving Facebook and going to YouTube. YouTube isn't really a platform for social updates or chatting with friends. YT might be increasingly popular for kids with nothing to do but look at videos, but it's not a replacement for FB. SnapChat and Instagram sure, but not YT.

A lot of my friends left Facebook, Twitter, and Snapchat for Instagram only.
Coming from a Gen Xer, this makes me curious what exactly they are doing. Each of these apps serve different purposes. Facebook has groups, messenger, and marketplace. Twitter I get, it's only relevant for emergency notifications or memes. Snapchat I despise, just send me a text message. Instagram is cool for pictures, but again message me on SMS or Message.

I don't get these new fads to try out messaging services, like Tik Tok and whatever else is out there, there's too much conversation history lost by having all of those services.

There is a definite market for a privacy-focused social media platform. Why can't anybody get this right? NO, we don't want it offered from Facebook, Google, or Microsoft.

Is everybody that is leaving just not caring about staying in touch with friends / family that are out of the same state or is everybody moving to a replacement platform that not many people have heard of? I refuse to believe Facebook can be replaced with Youtube or Instagram...

Because you have to generate revenue some way. Analytical data such as gender, birth year, location are very important to be able to run these platforms. The bandwidth and development costs are enormous.

Obviously you never took stats class in highschool or college.

A survey carried out by Business Insider alongside SurveyMonkey Audience partner Cint questioned 1,884 Americans aged 13 to 21 to discover the social media use of Generation Z (those born after 1996).

@JordLevy is closer to the truth. Longer sample period is meaningless, but sample size, from what specific population LOCATION is very meaningful. Even the distribution of the ages can be suspect, eg online one aged 21 :sigh: One can cherry-pick the sample to derive any result you please, even with a 5% confidence level.

Teenagers are so "smart" they take selfies non-stop, even when they are shitting. I'm shitting you not. They are crapping and sending each other photos of themselves crapping. NSA is firing people left and right. With that many "smart" teenagers sending their photos non-stop they don't even need to bother collecting images. Now they have too many of them. They are spending a fortune on the storage space.

Privacy has been deleted from ALL modern computers, thanks to the computer processor-makers, Intel & AMD. Both, have injected a "back-door" into their CPU's which is undetectable to the customer.

Social media platforms don't really matter, but they do make a good smoke-screen & more easily manipulate the weak-minded...

PS: for the best possible "feel-good" that you're NOT being tracked everywhere (even though you probably are anyway, as laid out above), install MeWe.com & Protonmail. Today. Get your friends & family to do the same. You'll be far less pestered and it'll put a "ding" in FB's wallet. You're welcome. :)

@JordLevy is closer to the truth. Longer sample period is meaningless, but sample size, from what specific population LOCATION is very meaningful. Even the distribution of the ages can be suspect, eg online one aged 21 :sigh: One can cherry-pick the sample to derive any result you please, even with a 5% confidence level.
A longer sample period would help establish a trend :)

A longer sample period would help establish a trend :)
This kind of data is Binary; they do or do not. The size of the sample compared to the whole number of "teenagers" is very significant, but not the number of days used to collect the data.

For a trend, one would repeat the sampling at periodic intervals, 3,6,12 months apart

Back