More than 181,000 drones have been registered with the FAA since mid-December

Shawn Knight

Staff member

More than 181,000 drones in the US have been registered for flight with the Federal Aviation Administration.

FAA administrator Michael Huerta revealed the numbers during a recent speaking engagement at the ongoing Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas. Huerta told a panel that they're encouraged by the registration numbers they've seen thus far, adding that he is confident that by working together with their partners in safety, they will succeed.

The FAA launched its registry on December 21, 2015. Pilots of consumer drones weighing between 0.55 pounds and 55 pounds that made their purchase before December 21 have until February 19, 2016, to register their aircraft. Anyone that bought a drone after December 21 is required to register it before its first outdoor flight. Failure to register can result in stiff penalties.

The FAA has since released an iOS app called B4UFLY that informs pilots if operation in a specific area is prohibited. A version of the app for Android is currently being tested, we're told.

The Consumer Technology Association estimates that around 400,000 drones were sold in the US during the holiday shopping season. Sales of drones weighing at least 0.55 pounds are forecasted to exceed one million this year.

It's worth mentioning that the current registration program only applies to consumer drones. The FAA is said to be working on a separate registry for commercial drones that's expected to open by mid-year.

Permalink to story.

Still stupid
please explain why this is stupid.

personally I think drones should not be considered toys. they way to dangerous for a child hence you must consider them to be a tool, a tool that can cause major damage in the wrong hand. if an dangerous action is committed with a drone I believe that the authorities should have the capability to track whoever committed that action.

Still stupid

personally I think drones should not be considered toys. they way to dangerous for a child hence you must consider them to be a tool, a tool that can cause major damage in the wrong hand. if an dangerous action is committed with a drone I believe that the authorities should have the capability to track whoever committed that action.

If anyone watch the YouTube video called Drone blender, they 'll change their mind about drones not being dangerous.

Still stupid

If anyone watch the YouTube video called Drone blender, they 'll change their mind about drones not being dangerous.

It's not rocket science to realize that some drones are dangerous, but its not like you can fly them super far away from your location and cause havoc on all below... At least not for consumers.

I think they need to come up with a better way to determine if a Drone needs to be registered cause the weight class given would require quite a few toy drones to be registered and they can barely be flown outside anyways...

The thing I have about this is they lump the R/C community in with this DIPWADS quadcopter *****s.
AMA pilots always fly in either an approved R/C park, or, in an empty field, away from people places
& things. Usually novice pilots seek out a mentor, to "learn" the skill required. Now, just take a quad
out of a box, charge it up, turn it on and amazing! You are now officially a pilot! And here I went through
all of that training, etc, to learn it.
These *****s no nothing about flying, the difference between flying away from you versus toward you,
flying with or against the wind, crosswind flying, upside down flying and on and on.

Thanks a lot morons, for ruining a good sport we've enjoyed for decades.
The AMA (not the medial association) is currently looking into challenging it anyway.
I'd rather not, to be within the law, have my PERSONAL information available on a searchable database,
or having any credit card information stored, considering the failure of the AHC website (both government).

Back