Morro to be named Microsoft Security Essentials

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jos

Staff

Update (6/18): Microsoft confirmed today that they plan to release a public beta of Microsoft Security Essentials (formerly codenamed Morro) this Tuesday June 23.

Following up from a report on Neowin yesterday, Ars Technica has revealed that Microsoft’s upcoming anti-virus software has dropped the Morro moniker and is now officially known as Microsoft Security Essentials. They have uploaded a new set of screenshots briefly going over the installation process, some of the program’s features, and showing the updated user interface.

Based on the recently leaked build, Ars reports that MSE has separate installers for Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7 in both 32 and 64-bit flavors. File sizes are also rather small, ranging from 3 MB to 7 MB. The security software will completely replace Windows’ built-in Defender, and should offer real-time protection against viruses, spyware, rootkits, and Trojans. Although Microsoft Security Essentials is already being tested internally, the company is expected to offer a public beta “soon,” and have the final version ready later this year.

Permalink to story.

I wonder if the built in antivirus will interfere with 3rd party AV applications. If so, Microsoft can keep MSE and I will stick to Avast.

So Microsoft is getting back into the anti-virus market. I've always wondered why they got out of it after the windows 3.1 days.

I'm more interested if it can stop anything at all!

I somehow feel more secure with 3rd party AV installed, though it'd be interesting to see how it matches up to the myriads of commercial products available..

Although I don't totally expect a high-end A/V, Microsoft is about time to offer a free A/V for all PC users. I expect Windows Security Essentials to be compatible with a 3rd party A/V like Avast! or AVG. The rest of all, great because there will be more barriers against Malicious attacks.

This security suite is very light...the scan engine is fast (i don't know how efficient), don't use much ram.... From Live OneCare is a big difference.More friendly GUI, complex settings... I hope this suite will be free and will get a VB100 :D

Stonos said:
The security software will completely replace Windows’ built-in Defender

Looks like that the EU Commission will complain about that...

Oh don't worry, I'm sure they are cooking up some way to argue that Microsoft should not be allowed to include Paint because it somehow defers users from buying editing software....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back