Morrowind overhaul - looks like I'll be reinstalling

Route44

This is not Morrowind 2011 where the person was forced to remove it because he never got the original modders permission to make the compilation. This is fully legit. Here is a video by KingPix on YouTube that gives a good look at Morrowind Overhaul's graphical enhancements: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mdBcx93OQA

* KingPix who is one of the driving forces behind this personally answered my questions on the RPG Watch forums and it will be an executible and can be played on wide screen monitors. Plus it will give you the ability to manually determine what you want to mod.

* It has been 8 years since I last played. Will definitely give it a go when this is released.

What the...?! I'll see what I can do. But seriously, Matthew, this looks incredible and the backing of the modding community is strong.

Now I got to figure out how to fix the link...

Update: Fixed with a different link that at least shows the graphics. See the first post.

Wow, that is pretty impressive. Balmora looks awesome (~2:15 into the video). I always liked Morrowind a lot more than Oblivion. I haven't played it in a while, but I may just have to fire it up and try this out. I usually install various texture/model mods but they're only minor tweaks compared to what that video shows. Any idea when it's going to be released?

Wow - I may look into a re-install as well. I think I even have my save games stored somewhere. As for Nehrim, I'm going to wait till I finish the main story in Oblivion before starting that (that could be forever at my pace.)

Wow - I may look into a re-install as well. I think I even have my save games stored somewhere. As for Nehrim, I'm going to wait till I finish the main story in Oblivion before starting that (that could be forever at my pace.)

I never did finish Morrowind. I never really "got" the game in 2003 but looking back and reading other people's experiences I've come to the conclusion that it is one of those monumental RPGs in the genre'. I've always liked RPGs that allow you to be one class but allowing other classes to augment your PC. My favorite combination is a warrior suppoted by magic casting. Morrowind is great for such character building (as is Divine Divinity).

It is such a massive game and there is so much to do. I got as far as almost finishing the Fighter's Guild Quests and not much else; which means I barely scratched the surface. I was too busy roaming around the countryside here and there. This time, however, I am taking my time and as a personal endeavor I will be hunting down and destroying as many of the Sixth House enclaves as possible. :D I hate the 6th House. :evil:

LNCPapa, how do you find the play of Oblivion? I have heard the system scaling of creatures/monsters is a real pain. Is the game boring/repetitive?

Route44... first I've gotta point out that Morrowind was a bit overwhelming for me. There was just too much freedom and I hadn't played any of the previous Elder Scrolls games. I did get the expansion for Morrowind, but that just made things worse for me because now I couldn't sleep outside along with other things.

As for Oblivion, I really like it but I've decided to forgo the leveling portion of the game. If you never level then the mobs won't scale. I've been told there are two strategies to this aspect of the game - get as high a level as possible and carefully customize your character as you go or do as I've chosen and never level. The game isn't really boring, I just don't have time to sit in front of it for long periods and it doesn't help that I keep getting newer and newer games as well. I like running things that tax my machine and look good enough to do so.

Route44... first I've gotta point out that Morrowind was a bit overwhelming for me. There was just too much freedom and I hadn't played any of the previous Elder Scrolls games. I did get the expansion for Morrowind, but that just made things worse for me because now I couldn't sleep outside along with other things

This sounds much like what my problem was. The Fighter's Guild is only one of many factions you can join and that isn't including the tons of caves, shipwrecks, ruins, islands, crypts, etc. that are dotted all over the place in a land that takes a great deal of time to explore. I had to uninstall because it was taking way, way too much time.

By the way, the people who are doing Morrowind Overhaul also have a massive expansion for Morrowind that they claim will add so many new quests, people, etc. that they claim it will take 2000 hours to complete. Forget sleeping. I think Mountain Dew intravineously is the way to go here...

As for Oblivion do I understand you correctly that if you never level up then the monsters/mobs/creatures/enemies remain the same level as well? Thus, your fighting/mage/archery skills will stay at first level, correct? How playable/fun was that? Leveling is a central aspect to RPG goodness.

If I've read correctly, Skyrim will unfortunatly have scaling just like Oblivion. We'll have to see.

Looks very good. I may have to see about getting Morrowind. I never completed it. I went straight to Oblivion when I got a half decent laptop. I want to play so many games though... Mass Effect 1&2 again, oblivion ( and now morrowind). Ah well...

Looks very good. I may have to see about getting Morrowind. I never completed it. I went straight to Oblivion when I got a half decent laptop. I want to play so many games though... Mass Effect 1&2 again, oblivion ( and now morrowind). Ah well...

If you do go ahead with the Overhaul please let us know your experience especially with the installation. Thanks.

@ BookWyrm - Naaa, I don't have the time ... but it is tempting! :D

@ freythman - I've read good things about MGE but it has been years since I tweaked a game via mods that I've forgotten how! :blackeye:

Not sure how I missed this thread originally but that looks awesome. I haven't played Morrowind in forever and may have to give this a try :D .

Not sure how I missed this thread originally but that looks awesome. I haven't played Morrowind in forever and may have to give this a try :D .

If you do let us know how it goes. The thing I like about the Overhaul is it's self extraction and you can modify as you see fit. Still seems to have some bugs though.

I doubt we will ever see such an immense world as Morrowwind ever again.

By the way, Relic, do you hate the 6th House as much as I do? I hate 'em, hat 'em, hate 'em! If I play again I am planning on doing a search and destroy mission and wipe them all out!!! :grinthumb (now where did I put my meds...)

My brother installed this on his computer and it was so difficult to install. He ran into a couple of errors after following the guide, which had something to do with permissions windows blocked from copying the necessary files. In the end, we got it working and wow it was beautiful! He runs it on a 250GTS so we had to slightly optimized the options but even after that the game look truly amazing. I just wish it was possible to bring oblivion's fighting animations to morrowind then the game would truly be complete!

My brother installed this on his computer and it was so difficult to install. He ran into a couple of errors after following the guide, which had something to do with permissions windows blocked from copying the necessary files. In the end, we got it working and wow it was beautiful! He runs it on a 250GTS so we had to slightly optimized the options but even after that the game look truly amazing. I just wish it was possible to bring oblivion's fighting animations to morrowind then the game would truly be complete!

What version of Windows did he have issues installing the Overhaul?

He has Windows 7 home premium 64 bit. It winded up some files didn't copy over and he had to go back and copy them over again. I wish this mod had a single installer!

Did you join the Overhaul forums and let them know of your issue and how you resolved it? Such information is welcomed by them as it helps them to tweak Overhaul.

Back