Most iPhone owners intend to buy an iPhone 8, despite the high price

midian182

Staff member

It now seems almost certain that the iPhone 8 will cost around $1000 when released later this year. While many may balk at such a high price, it’s not going to stop the majority of Apple fans from purchasing the handset.

A new survey conducted by Morgan Stanley data analyst firm AlphaWise showed 92 percent of iPhone owners that were “somewhat or extremely likely” to upgrade in the next 12 months plan to stay with Apple.

As reported by StreetInsider, AlphaWise found the Cupertino company remains on top when it comes to consumer brand loyalty in the smartphone market. Its 92 percent rating is ahead of big rival Samsung, which manages just 77 percent. LG (59 percent), Motorola (56 percent), and Nokia (42 percent) make up the rest of the list.

The results have given Apple a boost, with Morgan Stanley analysts increasing the company’s stock price target from $161 to $177.

Apple will especially welcome the news. Many complain that the iPhone 7 doesn’t offer enough of an upgrade over the previous model, and overall handset sales have fallen recently. CEO Tim Cook blames the ongoing iPhone 8 rumors for the company’s failure to meet Wall Street expectations, which fell short by around 2 million iPhone units.

“We’re seeing what we believe to be a pause in purchase of iPhone, which we believe is due to the earlier and much more frequent reports about future iPhones,” Cook said during a second-quarter earnings call.

Like Samsung’s Galaxy S8, the iPhone 8 is expected to boast an edge-to-edge display and lack a physical home button. It’s also rumored to come with a “glass-sandwich” design, support wireless charging, have a 5.8-inch curved OLED display, and offer many other new features.

Permalink to story.

"Most" owners?
Out of the many people I know with iPhones, many of them are still using the 5 and 6 series.
Although when you get a new phone they just about give you the latest iPhone.

As far as loyalty, well yeah, if your in the Apple world you most likely staying there as your invested into that ecosystem. Not hating Apple, decent phones and decent performance, but its 90% popularity and ease of use that puts the butter on their bread.

It would be interesting to know "where" they get their data for these projections. I have no doubt that many will upgrade, no matter what but "most" ...... I will wait for the quarterly sales figures before I believe that one ....

My current phone is an iPhone 6 Plus. I have pre-ordered and expecting delivery of my new Sony Xperia XZ Premium on 2nd June. Cannot wait. Decided to move away after iOS is basically still missing basic useful stuff and the already most expensive phone becoming £100 more in the UK!

I already thought iPhone's are expensive (but nice) phones. Not worth an extra £100 though, Competition has caught up and in my opinion, now overtaken Apple.

The most expensive iPhone 7 is $849, they are asking for $250 more for basically nothing.

Note 8 will be here soon enough!

What I haven't figured out, with pretty much EVERY consumer electronics "stuff" out there, over time, the devices get better, faster, more features, but, the price DROPS. Look at what PC's, laptops, DVD players, LCD/LED tv's have done. Each year, they improve, but the price comes DOWN. My parents bought a 32" Samsung LCD tv in 2006. It was around $1,000.00 Now, you can easily pick up a better LED tv, same size, smaller, better picture, for almost nothing! So, how have the cell phone manufacturers, been able to buck the trend of better/cheaper?
Is it because consumers don't care? Expect higher prices?
The cost to build, has hovered around the 200-300 dollar range for your typical flagship phone, but, the price continues to approach, then surpass the $1,000.00 price.
Wish Techspot would do a story how manufacturers determine the "suggested" retail price of a phone, given the build cost of 200-300 dollars. Yes, R&D, marketing go into it, but not THAT much.

What I haven't figured out, with pretty much EVERY consumer electronics "stuff" out there, over time, the devices get better, faster, more features, but, the price DROPS. Look at what PC's, laptops, DVD players, LCD/LED tv's have done. Each year, they improve, but the price comes DOWN. My parents bought a 32" Samsung LCD tv in 2006. It was around $1,000.00 Now, you can easily pick up a better LED tv, same size, smaller, better picture, for almost nothing! So, how have the cell phone manufacturers, been able to buck the trend of better/cheaper?
Is it because consumers don't care? Expect higher prices?
The cost to build, has hovered around the 200-300 dollar range for your typical flagship phone, but, the price continues to approach, then surpass the $1,000.00 price.
Wish Techspot would do a story how manufacturers determine the "suggested" retail price of a phone, given the build cost of 200-300 dollars. Yes, R&D, marketing go into it, but not THAT much.
I think you'll find it's to do with how often people "upgrade" to newer handsets.
When you buy a TV, it lasts normally 8 years or so. Same with DVD Players etc...
Smartphones on the other hand, a lot of people get them on contract and "renew" every year or two, thus replacing far more often than other electronic devices.

No headphone jack, no sale. Next upgrade will likely be to a Galaxy S8 from my 6S.

I'd normally say do not "downgrade" from an iPhone to a Samsung Galaxy phone, but I've actually tested out the SGS8 (and the plus model) and I must say it is worth the "downgrade" for either model. Not just cuz it has a headphone jack but becuz of how amazing it looks. The display is amazing, the battery life and camera {for both taking pics from both the front and back cameras as well as taking video} is great (especially more so on the plus model) and it's rather easy to use. BUT that bein said the fingerprint scanner is TERRIBLE! Not only does it have problems with scanning your finger, the placement and shape of it is bad. Why right next to the camera? Was that really necessary? Every time I went to use the scanner I ended up touching the back camera every time even though I knew the scanner was beside the camera. The angle I had to put my finger for the scanner was also very awkward. I don't have very big hands or very long fingers (theyre average I guess?) but nonetheless if anyone were to buy either the SGS8/8+ I would strongly recommend you not use the fingerprint scanner unless you don't mind accidentally touching the camera lens every time use want to unlock your phone. But other than that GREAT phone. Apple has 2 amazing phones by Samsung to compete with now. And until Apple comes up with a way to bring back the headphone jack and ditch the whole earbuds-to-lighting port and the freakin dongle like they did for the iPhone 7/7+ which everyone I know that has either model absolutely hates. But I guess every phone has its flaws no matter how new it may be.

Ive currently got the 6s and will not be upgrading to the 7 or 8. I'm not into adapters or having to upgrade my headphones because they won't work with my phone.

I had an iPhone 4S and when iOS 9 came out it bricked my phone during the update. The only way to restore was to factory reset. I tried a bunch of things and couldn't get it to work and the snobbish Apple community was so smug, I got a Galaxy S6 instead. Have not had problems with it until the battery started to not hold a charge well (3 or 4 yrs later). I dropped it last week and shattered the screen so I just got a S8. Very nice phone, quick, only uses about 20% battery after an 9hr work day, has a micro SD slot, headphone jack and its NOT Apple! I would say if you have a S6 think about an 8. If you have older, for sure get an 8.

Consider getting Rhino Shield glass cover though. Since its edge to edge screen, I worry about breaking it.

iPhone
This is 8.
This is your empty wallet

geez Honey, guess we'll have to cut back on spending on the kids, I wonder if they'll notice if we give them dog food, we are still paying off the two iPhone 7's

I intend to get it because it has the Apple logo on it! Apple makes the fastest, bestest, tech stuff out there; I know this because their items are shiny and have cool features that no other items have like super duper retina display and giga 4K HD+ wi-fi connection.

They want it because its expensive. 1000 is not enough - Apple should go with 1200-1300. Its fashion and lifestyle statement these days, with their aggressive product placement in the hands of almost every single celebrity, they are in the league of their own. Just look at any famous women - 99% of them are using iPhones and we all know how female market works. And women are 50% of our planet. Smart move there Apple. Who needs power users who will demand more and more, when you can sell it to casual users, all needs to do is to be nicely designed and easy for use? Guess what - iPhone delivers just that. For me, iOS was never a choice but I cant deny that most women dont care about "cutting edge tech" or "power of customization".

iPhone users are 21 times more likely to judge their dates negatively if they carry Android phones instead of an iPhone. Android users are also judge-y -- just a little less so at 15 times more likely to see iPhone devotees negatively. That's according to the annual "Singles in America" report commissioned by Match and conducted by Research Now, which surveyed 5,500 singles across the country.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/02/14/technology/valentines-day-2017-online-dating-trends/

*I have a Nexus 6p and my wife has a Galaxy S5 so I have no horse in the above "race"

They want it because its expensive. 1000 is not enough - Apple should go with 1200-1300. Its fashion and lifestyle statement these days, with their aggressive product placement in the hands of almost every single celebrity, they are in the league of their own. Just look at any famous women - 99% of them are using iPhones and we all know how female market works. And women are 50% of our planet. Smart move there Apple. Who needs power users who will demand more and more, when you can sell it to casual users, all needs to do is to be nicely designed and easy for use? Guess what - iPhone delivers just that. For me, iOS was never a choice but I cant deny that most women dont care about "cutting edge tech" or "power of customization".

Sexist much? @Rockstarrrr

How is that sexist? Lets break it down how I see it... As we all know sexism, racism and all the other isms are all subjective.

"Just look at any famous women - 99% of them are using iPhones and we all know how female market works." - Not stating a fact but pointing out an observation and his knowledge or assumption of how marketing targets women. Which is a fact.

"And women are 50% of our planet." - Not exact, but is a decent poke at it, again not sexist.

"Who needs power users who will demand more and more, when you can sell it to casual users, all needs to do is to be nicely designed and easy for use?" - Woman not used in this sentence and more targets the "casual user" than a woman. Not sexist here.

"For me, iOS was never a choice but I cant deny that most women dont care about "cutting edge tech" or "power of customization". - From my experience he is spot on. How is that sexist when this person points out an observation.

You found sexism because you were looking for it with the negative vibe of the post and the word woman in it. Take your leftist BS somewhere else. A man can have an opinion and you being a man should back him up more than submit to the feminist garbage. Now that was sexist or was it? Am I sexist? No, I am all for women's rights and equality, but I am a realist and know a woman is physically different from a man and therefore can not be truly equal. We could argue all day about it, but I will save you some time and effort. You won't change my mind and you will not influence me, so don't even try to explain yourself or your view because I don't want to hear it and I can tell by your post you are an extremist.

Thank you and have a nice day. :)

Oh my!! Are you a time traveller?? Considering it only came out 2 years earlier (April 2015), how did you get 3 or 4 years out of it???

I'm one of the doctors... Didn't you know that? I'm sorry it feels like I have had it a long time. I did get it when it released so it's been 2 yrs, my bad I make mistakes. I didn't really want to upgrade but my screen was cutting my finger when I use the phone.

Back