Most people haven't reduced their Facebook use in the wake of Cambridge Analytica scandal

midian182

Staff member

Facebook is unarguably going through the most difficult period in its history, but just how many people are shunning the platform following the Cambridge Analytica scandal? According to a new Reuters/Ipsos poll, not as many as you might think.

Revelations that the political consultancy gathered data from up to 87 million Facebook users without their knowledge or consent led to widespread fallout, including Mark Zuckerberg’s appearance before Congress, famous names and companies leaving the platform, and a #deletefacebook campaign. But it appears to have had little to no effect on most users.

Results of the national online poll, which took place between April 26 and April 30, show that around half of US Facebook users had not recently changed the amount they used the site, while a quarter were using it more. The remaining quarter were logging into Facebook less or had deleted their accounts, but this reduction was offset by the number of people who had increased their usage.

64 percent said they use Facebook at least once a day, which is lower than the 68 percent who said so in a similar poll taken not long after the Cambridge Analytica revelations were made public.

The scandal also failed to make a significant impression on the company’s financials, which saw revenue up 49 percent YoY to $11.97 billion in Q1 2018, though it could have a bigger effect on the current quarter. User numbers in the US and Canada, meanwhile, rose to 241 million on March 31 from 239 million three months’ earlier.

In other Cambridge Analytica news, a UK watchdog has ordered the firm to hand over all data it holds on a US citizen. Now that David Carroll’s request has been granted, it opens the floodgates for more Americans to make the same demands.

Permalink to story.

*rolls eyes*

I didnt change the amount I use Facebook. I only put the information I want compromised on there in the first place. Nothing is safe anyways.

Last edited:
Its because most ppl do not care. Its not a big to begin with. Just about anyone can get info nowadays.
The overall info may lead to change at/on Facebook but the average user wont care.

Not sure why anyone thought this would hurt FB. Itll take a lot more than just some info scandal to hurt it because over the course of the last few years ppl have seen data breaches. Its become so common, not many even bother any more. Not as though they could be anything about it except not use the site but that wont be happening anytime soon.

Why would anyone stop using Facebook? Most people don't care about privacy or data leaks, especially people who use Facebook on a daily basis. They're totally addicted to it and want their personal data and business spread all over the internet to prove their existence actually matters. That whole Capitol Hill questioning was a farce and a huge waste of time and money. Nothing changed. Zuckerberg practically claimed ignorance on everything he was asked.

Facebook is mainly about companies making money and everything else is just icing on the cake. Zuckerberg found a way to boost egos and become a multi-billionaire. Zuckerberg is practically adored as a god on Wall Street, second only to Jeff Bezos. Profits are the name of the game and personal privacy doesn't count for anything. Facebook is doing as well as ever and that won't change until people tire of it on their own (which is unlikely unless something better comes along).

Try to be fair. If I don't use Facebook at all, how do I further reduce my usage?
What you need to do is create a Facebook account, acquire about 10,000 friends and then delete your account. If you can. Once you've sipped the ego nectar, you will likely become addicted to that daily sip of juice. Just remember. Facebook needs you. Zuckerberg needs you. Join the cult and become happy.

I'm pretty sure there is a large group of people who don't take action until they are actually hit with consequences.

I am one of them who haven't reduced the Facebook use because of this scandal. I keep connecting once every month or two, as I was doing before.

What you need to do is create a Facebook account, acquire about 10,000 friends and then delete your account. If you can.
Been there, done that. Thanks to the stupid games on there at the time, I think the big ones were Mafia Wars and... something else, don't remember, I had over 100,000 friends. Some of whom, I even spoke to. Then it was cool for everybody to threaten to close their facebook accounts every time the privacy policy changed, which felt bi-weekly, so I decided to go one step further and actually deactivate my account, followed with a strongly worded email to the facebook admins to delete me. It was as simple as that back then.
Never looked back since.

Its because most ppl do not care. Its not a big to begin with. Just about anyone can get info nowadays.
The overall info may lead to change at/on Facebook but the average user wont care.

I quite agree people do not care. People don't care that their rights for free and fair elections can be manipulated. The general public don't care which criminals are running the country or that we pay more taxes to service a government and arms industry that runs roughshod over all that is actually good for the country to service deceitful foreign powers that dictate which sovereign lands to decimate.

People only care that their distractions are in plentiful supply.

Not sure why anyone thought this would hurt FB. Itll take a lot more than just some info scandal to hurt it because over the course of the last few years ppl have seen data breaches. Its become so common, not many even bother any more. Not as though they could be anything about it except not use the site but that wont be happening anytime soon.

It's not about getting basic info, it's not about data breach, it's about building user's profiles based on whole browsing experience and running whole new economy based on that. The future tool of control and manipulation.
I think the ones who don't care, don't really understand. Or maybe I hope so...
Thanks EU for GDPR.

Back