Motherboard bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SylarZero

My computer (not this one) won't do anything except turn on. When it turns on, nothing comes on the monitor. The keyboard won't read, but the mouse will. Again, nothing comes on the screen. Fans do turn on though.

I called HP this morning, and they said "probably motherboard issue."

I also called another technician, who said "Video Card." I tried to replace, but it didn't work.

If I need a new motherboard -- which one should I get- mine is a Foxconn MCP73M02H1. Preferably one from Amazon.

My computer (not this one) won't do anything except turn on. .

right im lost, what do you mean it wont do anything except turn on....

The keyboard won't read, but the mouse will. Again, nothing comes on the screen. .

what do you mean the mouse will read,,how can you tell if there is nothing on the screen...

If I need a new motherboard -- which one should I get- mine is a Foxconn MCP73M02H1. Preferably one from Amazon.

lets not get ahead of ourselves here sylarzero just answer the questions above, in fact let us know exactly step by step what happens when you turn on the PC.

Alright. Sorry about that.

Okay, so I turn on the PC. The fans run. There are no beeps (though now I realize that I didn't have my headphones hooked up when I tested it... thought it would just beep.)

Nothing comes up on the monitor. The Keyboard won't turn on Capslock. But the fans are still running. And the optical mouse is glowing red like it does when it is on.

That's all it does. I can turn the computer off, by hitting the power button again.

right thats the answers i was looking for..

Ok

first off have you tried removing everything attached to the mobo except one stick of memory and the video card and seeing if it boots..

then swap graphics card

swap memory

swap PSU

if all this fails then chances are the mobo is shafted...

beeps are usually good if you can plug in a speaker onto the mobo.

I think, you can at first follow the explanatation of IDidmyc600...otherwise, if it is not helpfull, we can help you again to find another solutions...I think self: that the graphics card is defect...

good luck :D

I don't know if I've done everything right or not, but it's still not doing anything. Though now it's not even turning on. Though I may have had it hooked up wrong.

Thinking of trying the Windows Ultimate Boot CD. That'd work if it's not the motherboard/CPU right?

Tried installing a new graphics driver too, but to no avail. Why can't this stuff be easier.Not sure if I did it wrong or something.

Just glad that for now I still have another PC to use, albeit an older one that's not in great working condition.

I doubt a boot CD would work because it sounds as if it is never getting past basic boot up stuff.

How did you install a graphics driver if it won't boot up?

I wasn't able to install it. I just put the driver in. If it's the graphics card, shouldn't a new graphics card fix it? Oh sorry, I said Graphics driver, I meant card *feels stupid*

It's not even GETTING to the boot right now. Which sucks. It had been blue screening for a while, and then froze up twice last night -- once during a blue screen, and after that it wouldn't even start. Before that, it almost didn't start back up.

If it was just the graphics card then the PC should boot up normally, but with nothing on the display, provided the graphic cards was not screwing up the rest of the computer by dragging all the power.

You should know if it boots up by listening to the hard drive.
You know the noises it makes and when during a normal boot up, the light on the drive would also
be flashing/on etc..

However it sounds like a basic mobo / processor / memeory problem.
If it was just memory you normally get beeps, so it sounds worse than that.

So it likely is the motherboard? I get different things from different techs. One says "Motherboard." The other says "75% sure it's not the motherboard, because it turns on."

If I replace the motherboard, will I get to keep the data on my hard drive? That really worries me, because I don't have some things backed up.

The mouse (is it usb?) I think is just powered off the 5 volt (or 12v?) rail.
USB is 5V I believe.

Had you been messing around with the computer recently as in doing stuff inside, installing anything?

Check for basics, lose connections. dirt (possibly hoover dust out but don't get too close as it can cause static.)

It does not turn on though does it?
Well depends what one means I guess.
Does the screen stay black (no signal)?

I mean it could be a dead chip on the mobo.

Haven't installed any new hardware ever. On any computer.

I disconnected everything, and reconnected it (not sure if I did it right or not. Some things I'm pretty sure on, while others I'm not so sure on because I don't have instructions.) There was a LOT of dust in there, especially in the heatsink fan. But I cleared it out. The PC i'm on now has a ton of dust oddly enough from sitting.

Wish this problem were as simple as a dead 3v battery or dust. But I don't think it can be the battery, because the one in this PC has lasted a LONG time. And things wouldn't turn on if that were the case, right? And that wouldn't have explained the freezing.

The screen stays black. And the monitor is fine, since it works with this one. The monitor doesn't say "No signal detected" like it does when nothing is connected.

Sounds like a newish machine, normally drives have a light/LED which goes on during activity.
SOund like that is not happening and it is more a mobo problem.

See I think you have power, 5V for USB and well CD drives have 12v and 5V I think, not sure which open the door.
Not sure if the motherboard needs 12V, I expect most chips only need 5V but there could be other stuff on there.

When you say your keyboard is read you mean some lights on the keyboard come on?
Obviously you cannot see anything on the screen?

Can you try with keyboard disconnected?

Yeah, I mean no NumLock lights come on. Tried with the keyboard disconnected this morning, but still nothing.

Also- do motherboards come with Graphic cards, or do I have to buy one separately? (I have one just in case anyway, just wondering if they have them, mine seems to have one built in) And CPU for that matter... Could the problem just be the Central Processing Unit for that matter...

Yeah, I mean no NumLock lights come on. Tried with the keyboard disconnected this morning, but still nothing.

Also- do motherboards come with Graphic cards, or do I have to buy one separately? (I have one just in case anyway, just wondering if they have them, mine seems to have one built in) And CPU for that matter... Could the problem just be the Central Processing Unit for that matter...

Interesting about the keyboard.
I don't know what happens for sure during boot up, I vaguely remember normally I get a beep and then the keyboard lights come on briefly, not sure of the order.

But maybe the mobo and cpu tell the keyboard too do that.

Is the mouse usb? I think that will be directly connected to the power supply 5v line because all USB ports provide power, I used to charge an electronic cigarette battery from a usb port.

OK I will tell you what I know about my computer, it has 'onboard graphics' so I used it without a separate graphics card.
However I bought a graphic card to up grade, so now the onboard connector I used to use
is not used and I use the connectors on the graphics card.

Not sure if your board will be the same I will try and have loook.

The Keyboard is NOT usb. It's PS/2. The Mouse is too, but via USB. If that makes any sense.

I really hope that I can fix this tomorrow (I'd have tried today, but all places selling motherboards were closed.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back