Motherboard onboard lineout - Stopped working

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenkyouShimasu

Hi, here's my situation... really weird but the thing is, i have a motherboard with onboard sound drive, it used to work when i used the lineout that my pc gives, not the one that is directly attached to the motherboard, but that little piece broke so i had to go connect my headphones to the back lineout wich is the one from the onboard card.. and to my surprise that lineout doesnt work =/ why did the other one, wich was basicly a replica gave by the computer box work... the soundcard is detected by dxdiag and using the same back entrys, the mic in is working perfectly, im out of ideas. Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance =P

Usually colored green, the back sound ports can be reconfigured via your sound software.
Which means, try the other holes !

But if your front connector is damaged, this may also be causing the back to stop.
Note: the front earphone and mic physically plug into the computer's motherboard via wires (as you know)

Thanks for your fast reply, i tried chaging the green connector to mic in, and the red one to lineout, or even the blue one... but the software doesnt allow. The green connector is stuck at lineout its the only one it doesnt allow me to change, but while that one has the value set to lineout the others cant be lineout as well... im starting to think a new sound card will be the only solution, because i have no idea where i can find one of those single piece green connector to fix the front entry =( thanks anyways

You get them out of old wrecked boxes (well I do) or just buy another box.

But I hinted that you could disconnect the front sound wires from the motherboard. But you will need the manual for the pin layout, and you need to adhere to electro-static cautions too. (And probably have a little experience too)

Since atm, all of front panel in my pc has been removed i unplugged all the connectors from the board, but i still cant get any sound im running out of options aint i?

Yes.

It may have shorted something on the board
So external speakers on the back don't work in any port?

Actually go to Control Panel Sounds and confirm it's set to Earphones

The sound software doesnt allow me to change the lineout to another port, i can switch beetween lineout and speakers at the green connector, but none of the them gives any sound.

Yes but Windows audio settings in Control panel, under speaker settings (usually the first tab) are the speakers set to HeadPhones? (or can you set them to that)

Not sure if you need to restart

Yeah they are set to stereo headspeakers, im gonna ask you another advice i dont know if i should start a new thread for this. Since ill probably have to buy another sound card, i would like to buy one that would allow me to jack in the guitar so i can do some recordings, do you have any advice on that matter? its kind of jumping subject but i honestly think the back connector is dead =/

That's reasonable

I say start a new thread with zero replies, with the heading which sound card to buy? (or something like that)

The zero replies will get more attention, from someone who knows the best one.

kimsland said:
You get them out of old wrecked boxes (well I do) or just buy another box.

But I hinted that you could disconnect the front sound wires from the motherboard. But you will need the manual for the pin layout, and you need to adhere to electro-static cautions too. (And probably have a little experience too)

Greetings to all.

I have a similar problem.

My girlfriend's old socket478 Mainboard (a dead Asus P4S800) fried because of an incorrectly installed DIMM.

I got a MSI 845 PE from a friend of mine (no back panel) who didn't need it anymore.

The Audio on-board seems to be the only trouble. LineOut/Phones don't work. I managed to re-route audio, and listen to the Backside Speakers... but you know, every program must have a 2+2 audio config or else... «silence». Youtube doesn't have, for an instance.

Where do you think the problem is? I inspected the inner tip-ring-sleeve contacts and everything seems okay.

Or the contacts between the Foxconn big yellow socket and the motherboard? Do you think it's repairable? Has the Foxconn socket any electrical components or is just plains contacts?

Can it be something deeper... you know... in the Realtek chip or in the Mainboard? Wouldn't it cause the Audio onboard to fail completely?

Thank you!

I suspect you have already confirmed the software drivers are correct
But the first option is to eliminate the software first, then go to hardware.

If this is definately a hardware fault
You could go to CMOS and confirm all is enabled (in onboard audio) and possibly even run optimized defaults.

Just like member BenkyouShimasu, if there is no other obvious sign (pins broken or cabling/plugs issues). Then you will need to purchase another addon PCI sound card.

Yes, indeed... I've tried anything possible. Drivers from MSI, drivers from Realtek, disabling game/midi, but always the same: only the blue and pink holes work... the green is silent. I can get sound if I re-route to 2+2 or 5.1: blue becomes Rear L+R, and sound is there.

I called my friend today and he told me last time he used the board, a couple years ago, the sound was ok.

So I thought... what could have changed? I'm thinking now that the first thing I did before installing OS was to upgrade BIOS... maybe, maybe... it was that. Sometimes BIOS revisions are not 100%. I'm gonna downgrade from 4.0 to 3.4 and see what happens...

Nothing.
I even tried older Realtek drivers... and same thing: Pink works, Blue works, Green... shut.
I just didn't try re-installing XP... guess that has nothing to do.
Am I missing something? :\

Other than removing all sound drivers in Safe Mode Device Manager
If you do decide re-install Windows, I'd say remove the PCI bridge in Device Manager first

Obviously confirm all sound software is removed from Add/Remove programs

Lastly it's that real confirmation that sound drivers are the correct ones (I think confirmed !)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back