Moto Z Battery Beast: Mod Delivers Best in Class Smartphone Battery Life

Julio Franco

Staff member
The internal battery constantly being charged by the external should be a negative. That kind of wear and tear on a non removable internal battery is going to leave a moto phone with a useless battery in short order. At least far before the rest of the hardware is worn out.

I wonder why motomod doesnt offer the ability to use the external as a second battery ala apple's smart battery case, which doesnt charge the internal, rather the phone directly drains the external battery first.

Fake News.

Comparing a Moto Mod accessory attached to a device vs.competing stand alone products.

Grow up.

Comparing a Moto Mod accessory attached to a device vs.competing stand alone products.
Yeah the title "Mod Delivers Best in Class Smartphone Battery Life" I would imagine a way over the line of performance, not on par with other smartphones already on the market. There was one or two where it actually took the lead but in general it was on par with Samsung's Galaxy phones, which was disappointing.

The internal battery constantly being charged by the external should be a negative. That kind of wear and tear on a non removable internal battery is going to leave a moto phone with a useless battery in short order. At least far before the rest of the hardware is worn out.
I think my friend, you are stuck on the NiCd era. Just a heads-up, recommended and encouraged use for Lithium batteries is to keep them over 50%, that way they will live longer.

I wonder why motomod doesnt offer the ability to use the external as a second battery ala apple's smart battery case, which doesnt charge the internal, rather the phone directly drains the external battery first.
I'm not sure what you actually mean, Apple doesn't have any smart battery case, everything is 3rd party for what a friend once explained me. Anyhow, we have no idea how internal circuit works but I'm pretty sure this is part of standard logic. I doubt they make things to actually reduce hardware life.

I must be using my HTC 10 all wrong then, I often find that the battery can last almost 3 days on a single charge.
They do standardize the tests, so I doubt that you are "using it wrong" but you are not using it the same way the tests go.

Is the LG G5 really the only current flagship phone with a removable battery? What about the LG V20? Although I think it's only available in the US and India.

Interesting...."most devices with big batteries, usually have mid-range specs".
My Mate 8, has a 630 processor, holds its own in those silly benchmark programs,
has a 4,000mAH battery that easily can last 2 days, WITHOUT any battery saving
programs or tricks. Running it in performance mode all the time, using it daily for
phone, text, web, streaming...easily last 2 days. And it doesn't cost an arm & a leg
either.

Yeah the title "Mod Delivers Best in Class Smartphone Battery Life" I would imagine a way over the line of performance, not on par with other smartphones already on the market. There was one or two where it actually took the lead but in general it was on par with Samsung's Galaxy phones, which was disappointing.

I think my friend, you are stuck on the NiCd era. Just a heads-up, recommended and encouraged use for Lithium batteries is to keep them over 50%, that way they will live longer.

I'm not sure what you actually mean, Apple doesn't have any smart battery case, everything is 3rd party for what a friend once explained me. Anyhow, we have no idea how internal circuit works but I'm pretty sure this is part of standard logic. I doubt they make things to actually reduce hardware life.

I must be using my HTC 10 all wrong then, I often find that the battery can last almost 3 days on a single charge.
They do standardize the tests, so I doubt that you are "using it wrong" but you are not using it the same way the tests go.

Put a Mophie Juice Case on a S7 and stand back ...

Interesting...."most devices with big batteries, usually have mid-range specs".
My Mate 8, has a 630 processor, holds its own in those silly benchmark programs,
has a 4,000mAH battery that easily can last 2 days, WITHOUT any battery saving
programs or tricks. Running it in performance mode all the time, using it daily for
phone, text, web, streaming...easily last 2 days. And it doesn't cost an arm & a leg
either.
I'm sorry, but a Snapdragon 600-series processor is a midrange processor, meaning it consumes less power than the 820 used in high end phones. I have a entry to mid range level phone so I'm not trying to be patronising, just clearing it up.

Nah. No need for that. I simply use my phone as a phone, naturally, and a messaging platform. Very little else, but I do put it into power saving mode before I go to sleep and turn off all comms except cellular. I use a Galaxy A3 for workouts while listening to music and tracking progress which generally lasts about a day and a half but I switch that device off when I'm finished with it.
All my other computing needs are taken care of by my desktop PC.

Nah. No need for that. I simply use my phone as a phone, naturally, and a messaging platform. Very little else, but I do put it into power saving mode before I go to sleep and turn off all comms except cellular. I use a Galaxy A3 for workouts while listening to music and tracking progress which generally lasts about a day and a half but I switch that device off when I'm finished with it.
All my other computing needs are taken care of by my desktop PC.

As usual ... you completely missed the point.

I own and I am completely satisfied with my S7 Edge btw.
And I don't own the Mophie Juice Case ...

Last edited:
Is the LG G5 really the only current flagship phone with a removable battery? What about the LG V20? Although I think it's only available in the US and India.

Both LG V10 and V20 support removable battery. These two are the only flagship phones that still support it, along with microSD slot and infrared beamer (which I use a lot.)

Good article, I like the idea of mods for your phone, it's just an option you have available. I have the Moto Z Play which has a better battery but it's not high end. I'm really pleased with performance of the phone, and the battery life is amazing, 2-3 days of heavy use without charging. This version doesn't come with the battery mod but it's compatible, which means I could even have a longer battery life.

I'm sorry, but a Snapdragon 600-series processor is a midrange processor, meaning it consumes less power than the 820 used in high end phones. I have a entry to mid range level phone so I'm not trying to be patronising, just clearing it up.

Sorry I wasn't specific...everyone thinks snapdragon, it's not a snapdragon...and I put the number incorrectly.
It's a Kirin 950 processor, which is an 8 core processor.
Sorry about the confusion.

Fake News.

Grow up.

The reason I tested the Mods specifically is that it's a much more elegant and less bulky solution that literally every other battery case on the market.

Sure, I could have tested other accessories. But I wanted to test a phone that fits within the normal size and usability parameters of a standalone smartphone

Fake News.

Grow up.

The reason I tested the Mods specifically is that it's a much more elegant and less bulky solution that literally every other battery case on the market.

Sure, I could have tested other accessories. But I wanted to test a phone that fits within the normal size and usability parameters of a standalone smartphone

I appreciate the reply. Thanks.
Put the elegant thing and "normal size and usability parameters" aside for a moment.
Those are subjective qualifiers.

If you're going to benchmark something with an accessory,
than have the dignity to compare the add-on treatment to competing devices with equally capable add-ons
regardless of what you may personally find 'elegant'.
Otherwise it smacks of a favored, marketing hit piece and/or a highly 'biased'
paid for promotion at the behest of the sponsor.
"Mod Delivers Best In Class Smartphone Battery Life"
That was my only point and you know exactly what I am calling out here.

I actually like what Lenovo has done to form fit their mods - so don't get me wrong.
I just don't like how Moto devices behave internally and how many (not you) pawn
Moto phones off as being vanilla or "pure" like Nexus with respect to the OS.
But I digress ...

Last edited:
Otherwise it smacks of a favored, marketing hit piece and/or a highly 'biased'
paid for promotion at the behest of the sponsor.

Yeah I thought this might be your concern.

I've actually been waiting to get some hands on time with the Moto Z for a while. The Australian launch timings weren't great (several months after the States) so when I eventually got hands on time I put it through all the usual benchmarks and everything. When I was testing some of the Mods I noticed the Incipio one performed quite well. I was originally planning to do just a straight review of the Moto Z when Motorola sent one out but due to the timing issue I decided to take a different angle, which is pretty standard stuff for sites like ours.

So in short, I did some testing, noticed some particularly good results, and wrote an article accordingly instead of a straight Moto Z review that, given the phone has been out for a while, no one would have read at this point.

Agree. I've been on my htc10 longer than 5 hours and my battery might be 50% I have o battery issues with the 10. This article is outdated.
The reviewer was testing the device in "typical" usage scenario. Everybody uses their differently. In fact I use my secondary Galaxy A3 more than I do my HTC 10 simply because it's the smaller device that fits in my pockets easily and comfortably while training and working out. No reason other than that.

Agree. I've been on my htc10 longer than 5 hours and my battery might be 50% I have o battery issues with the 10. This article is outdated.

The tests aren't equivalent to everyday normal usage patterns. They test specific areas of a phone's battery life and the tests can only be used to compare one device to another. Of course you wouldn't actually expect to get 5 hours of typical usage out of the HTC 10.

What you will find is 5 hours of continuous heavy usage in a specific Wi-Fi web browsing test at a specific brightness level

The tests aren't equivalent to everyday normal usage patterns. They test specific areas of a phone's battery life and the tests can only be used to compare one device to another. Of course you wouldn't actually expect to get 5 hours of typical usage out of the HTC 10.

What you will find is 5 hours of continuous heavy usage in a specific Wi-Fi web browsing test at a specific brightness level
It was an interesting article tho'. Many thanx.

Sorry I wasn't specific...everyone thinks snapdragon, it's not a snapdragon...and I put the number incorrectly.
It's a Kirin 950 processor, which is an 8 core processor.
Sorry about the confusion.
Ok, that makes a lot more sense. Sorry for jumping to conclusions.

Back