Motorola announces the super-cheap Moto E, and an LTE Moto G

Scorpus

Staff member

Motorola has today launched a brand new, entry-level Android handset that slots into their current line-up below the Moto G. Designed for emerging markets where featurephones and low-end handsets have a huge grip on the market, the Moto E packs decent specifications for its low price.

The Moto E includes a 4.3-inch qHD (960 x 540) display with a pixel density of 256 PPI, powered by a 1,980 mAh (7.5 Wh) battery and a Qualcomm Snapdragon 200 SoC. The Snapdragon 200 isn't hugely powerful, with a 1.2 GHz dual-core ARM Cortex-A7 CPU and Adreno 302 GPU, but it should get the job done when paired with 1 GB of LPDDR2 RAM.

Other specs include 4 GB of internal storage, expandable through a microSD card slot, a 5-megapixel rear camera, dual-SIM functionality, splash water resistance, and standard 3G/HSPA radios. It will run Android 4.4 out of the box, with Motorola claiming that it will receive future updates in a timely manner.

Alongside the Moto E, Motorola has also launched a Moto G variant with LTE and microSD card support. When we reviewed the Moto G, the lack of these features were some of the main issues with the device, so it's great to see Motorola addressing criticism with a new model.

Both devices will be available in the coming weeks in over 40 countries and on 80 carriers; the Moto E will set you back $129, while the Moto G 4G will cost £149 in the UK (around $210 after VAT is subtracted).

Permalink to story.

Wow, I love the paper specs of moto g specially the ~4" size (because I don't like phablets)
from my point of view, it should be a direct competition to Samsung galaxy y (2013 edition) running android 4.x, 4gb internal memory, up to 32gb expandable microsd storage, 3mp back camera.
if Philippine price is somewhere along 4000php (~44php=1$ u.s.), I might get it to replace my aging cheap Samsung galaxy y (2009? edition) running android 2.3.6, ~180mb internal storage....

from my point of view, it should be a direct competition to Samsung galaxy y (2013 edition) running android 4.x, 4gb internal memory, up to 32gb expandable microsd storage, 3mp back camera.
It should not by any means be direct competition to the 2013 Galaxy Y. You forgot to mention the dual-core 1.2 GHz A7 CPU vs. the single-core 1.0 GHz A5 CPU, the Adreno 302 GPU vs. the Adreno 200 GPU, and (to some the most important) 960x540 glass-covered display, vs. the Y's atrocious 480x320 plastic-covered one.
Those are definitely not in the same category. The Moto E is quite a bit above (regardless of how prices will compare).

Back