Motorola Droid RAZR hands-on impressions

I'm liking the interface very much, and some impressive hardware features for a such a cheap phone (well cheap in the US im sure in the UK we can add another 30-50% on that cost). Sadly though I still love Samsung (even with their apparent oversaturated amoled screens) I still think Id prefer to wait a few more months for the Galaxy S3.

Emexrulsier said:
I'm liking the interface very much, and some impressive hardware features for a such a cheap phone (well cheap in the US im sure in the UK we can add another 30-50% on that cost). Sadly though I still love Samsung (even with their apparent oversaturated amoled screens) I still think Id prefer to wait a few more months for the Galaxy S3.

People who claim OLED screens are super oversaturated are people who sit and work with Twistic Nematic based monitors all day.

OLED screens run at 110% sRGB coverage. That's the exact same value that P-IPS monitors from Dell ship with, you know, those monitors that graphics professionals pay $1200 to use? Yes it's slightly oversaturated, but it's a hell of a lot better than the colours you'll get with those TN panel HTC phones or the S-IPS based LG phones.

It would be nice if they actually mentioned something about the smart(PHONE) speaker quality.
loud speaker and involume speaker particularly. The most basic function that is used the most by every user. I just returned my htc desireS cause it was full of distortion and had terrible sound quality.
Thanks for the review it was very informative.
S.

Guest said:
It would be nice if they actually mentioned something about the smart(PHONE) speaker quality.
loud speaker and involume speaker particularly. The most basic function that is used the most by every user. I just returned my htc desireS cause it was full of distortion and had terrible sound quality.
Thanks for the review it was very informative.
S.

My original HTC Desire and my HTC Sensation all had pretty crappy speakers compared to my Nexus S and my SGS II.

I was able to check out a demo last night at Verizon. OMG! I'm so excited! It seems that every smart phone that comes out everyone is complaining about the poor battery life. I currently own a Droid X, which I love, and have never had battery issues. I do, however use a car dock to listen to my music which helps with keeping it charged. I can also say though when I am not using the car dock I still manage to keep enough juice to last for a long time. Motorola phones are some of the best phones that I have owned and I'll keep using them until something changes.

While the LTE antenna may be sucking down a lot of power, the other thing that you have to consider is that it's pushing data to 921,600 pixels (1280x720). With each bump in resolution, the power requirement increases exponentially.

Guest said:
It seems that every smart phone that comes out everyone is complaining about the poor battery life... Motorola phones are some of the best phones that I have owned and I'll keep using them until something changes.

It's not so much a complaint, so much as it is a heads up that not much has changed since the first generation 4G LTE devices hit the market. Current LTE radios in smartphones really impact battery life because of the high speed capabilities, which means they run hotter and consume more power than current gen 3G radios.

Funny how people think $299 is cheap for a phone..Sure keep saying that..next batch of phones will be $399 then $499..... These companies love people like you! Just like gas..get you use to paying a certain price...Then spike it up to the next level. I use to think Apple was expensive but being just $199 seems like they are the more reasonable company for a change.

Trust me, their phones wouldn't be 199 if it were up to them. They're finally getting a ton of opposition.

$299 is a Verizon thing. Sprint offers their phones for $199. I think AT&T does too, but I'm not sure.

Doesn't really matter to me... As cool as this phone looks, I don't think i'd want a phone I can't put an extended battery on.

Wagan8r said:
While the LTE antenna may be sucking down a lot of power, the other thing that you have to consider is that it's pushing data to 921,600 pixels (1280x720). With each bump in resolution, the power requirement increases exponentially.

It's not pushing 1280x720. It's 960x540.

Still happy with my Samsung Galaxy S II and don't think any of these other phones coming out will make me regret getting what is arguably the base model for all of these new phones.

"""Funny how people think $299 is cheap for a phone..Sure keep saying that..next batch of phones will be $399 then $499..... These companies love people like you! Just like gas..get you use to paying a certain price...Then spike it up to the next level. I use to think Apple was expensive but being just $199 seems like they are the more reasonable company for a change.""""

Meanwhile in rest of the world we pay close to $700...

Do you like your Bionic? Then you didn't buy it too soon. New items always come along. If you buy something and regret it because a new product comes out, then you'll have buyer's regret your entire life. I love my Bionic. The Razr looks awesome, but my Bionic is already awesome, so who cares?

Back