Motorola Droid Turbo gets official with whopping 48-hour battery life

Shawn Knight

Staff member

verizon announces motorola droid turbo battery super powers android motorola battery life droid droid turbo

If you’re a road warrior with a penchant for great battery life but don’t want to sacrifice performance to get it, Motorola’s new Droid Turbo could be the smartphone you’ve been dreaming of. 

The Motorola Droid Turbo features a 5.2-inch display operating at a resolution of 2,560 x 1,440 (Quad HD) which works out to an impressive pixel density of 565 pixels per inch. Under the hood is a Qualcomm Snapdragon 805 chip clocked at 2.7GHz that’s mated with 3GB of RAM and your choice of 32GB or 64GB of internal flash storage.

verizon announces motorola droid turbo battery super powers android motorola battery life droid droid turbo

Around back is a 21-megapixel camera that can capture 4K video while a massive 3,900mAh battery can keep the party going for up to 48 hours on a single charge, Motorola and Verizon claim. Reviewers will no doubt be looking to put that to the test in the coming days and weeks.

The XLTE-ready handset will also ship with Motorola’s Turbo Charger which can provide up to eight hours of usage from a 15 minute charge given the right circumstances. It’ll ship with a pure version of Android 4.4.4 KitKat with just a few Moto features on top.

With the Nexus 6, revised Moto X and now the Droid Turbo, Motorola has a seriously stacked stable of smartphones heading into the holiday season. Those in the market for a high-end Android handset certainly have a wealthy of options to choose from.

The Droid Turbo will be available as of October 30 starting at $199 with a two-year service agreement.

Permalink to story.

I've been looking at many high-res images of this phone's screen, quality of which doesn't impress at all.

In the meantime, for phones like Note 4 or G3 Cat-6 the screen is the eye-candy.

I gotta say that is a great deal for $200. 8 hours of battery life in just 15 minutes of charging?! That is insane!

I gotta say that is a great deal for $200. 8 hours of battery life in just 15 minutes of charging?! That is insane!
never judge a phone on its contract price. The rest of the price is spread out for 2 years. Consider the $200 a down payment.

That's nice... Where is the Droid 5 with QWERTY keyboard? I miss having a physical keyboard. Swipe and touch boards are a PITA.

never judge a phone on its contract price. The rest of the price is spread out for 2 years. Consider the $200 a down payment.
Yeah but considering it is going against other phones at $200 on contract with worse specs that is bargain for what you get.

If you live state side, and don't mind a massive 6.1" screen, you can easily get 2-3 days on one charge of a Huawei Ascend Mate2, for only 300 bucks. You'll "sacrifice" quad screen snapdragon 80x processor, KK, android L, but big whoop. In normal operations, opening apps, running apps, screen clarity/brightness, I'll stack my 300 buck device up against any of these so called flagships.

can keep the party going for up to 48 hours on a single charge
Very vague. 3900mAh battery is approaching what is found in small tablets so probably an improvement, but even when stating that it can do 48 hours on one charge with 'normal' use its still very vague. Probably the best battery available in a 2560x1440 screen phone but think the res is still a battery eater. See no real reason for going above 1920x1080 at present. Especially given that the majority are all signed up to 2 year contracts with an upgrade after 2 years. I think by that time media streaming and mobile data speeds might actually be at the point for 2560x1440 to be worthwhile.

It's ugly as ****. Res is too high. If they want more battery life they could just leave it at 1080p.

Whats so great about 48 hours of battery life? My Nokia 5110's and 3310's battery lasted for at least 5 days back in the late 90's early 2000's. It's now almost 20 years later and while mobile tech has advanced in leaps and bounds battery tech hasn't budged an inch yet nobody can come up with a plausible excuse why it hasn't.

Whats so great about 48 hours of battery life? My Nokia 5110's and 3310's battery lasted for at least 5 days back in the late 90's early 2000's. It's now almost 20 years later and while mobile tech has advanced in leaps and bounds battery tech hasn't budged an inch yet nobody can come up with a plausible excuse why it hasn't.

Those phones could only make calls and send text messages and had the same screen your wristwatch has.
Also funny you mention there has been no change in battery tech cause last I checked no one uses NiCd batteries anymore.

It's simple really, do you want a phone with a 1cm thick battery on the back that weighs about double the current weight? Then you can have a few days of battery life.

For some stupid reason every phone has to be 0.0000000000000000001mm thick now and weigh no more than 7 swallow feathers. Until some company has the balls to release a nice thick and heavy phone with long battery life nothing will change.

Those phones could only make calls and send text messages and had the same screen your wristwatch has.
Also funny you mention there has been no change in battery tech cause last I checked no one uses NiCd batteries anymore.

It's simple really, do you want a phone with a 1cm thick battery on the back that weighs about double the current weight? Then you can have a few days of battery life.

For some stupid reason every phone has to be 0.0000000000000000001mm thick now and weigh no more than 7 swallow feathers. Until some company has the balls to release a nice thick and heavy phone with long battery life nothing will change.
As I said the tech has moved on in leaps and bounds but battery tech is suffering from rigor mortis, apart from the switch from NiCd and NiMH to Li-ion or LiPo, which only alleviated the memory build up problem associated with NiCd nothing has happened.
I couldn't agree with you more about the thickness of devices, they don't need to be paper thin, that's just the manufacturers beating their chests showing off. I feel that if I blow $500+ on a phone then I want to see & feel something my dosh has bought, some people think uber thin is uber cool but I don't see it that way.

Back