Motorola reveals another affordable smartphone with a pop-up camera and a 5,000mAh battery

Humza

Staff member
In brief: Motorola's tradition of making compelling Android phones that don't break the bank continues with the launch of its new One Fusion+, the successor to the affordable One Hyper.

Following its expansion of the Moto G and E families, Motorola has announced the affordable One Fusion+, the company's second smartphone to feature a pop-up selfie cam. Like its predecessor, the One Hyper, the new model in Motorola's One family carries a big 6.5-inch FHD+ (2,340 x 1,080) IPS LCD devoid of any notches or hole-punch cutouts.

This is made possible due to the motorized pop-up selfie cam, which for some reason has now been downgraded to 16MP over the previous model's 32MP shooter. The back, however, doubles the camera count to a quad-array made up of a 64MP main lens, an 8MP ultrawide, a 5MP macro lens, a 2MP depth sensor, and a single LED flash.

Inside, the One Hyper's Snapdragon 675 gets replaced with the newer 730 SoC in the One Fusion+, along with a 2GB bump in RAM for a total of 6GB. The battery size has also increased by 1,000mAh for a beefier 5,000mAh pack, but its fast charging capabilities have been reduced to 15W, as opposed to the older's 45W (US) and 27W (Europe) support.

Internal storage remains the same at 128GB, that's expandable via microSD. In terms of connectivity, the newer model features the usual Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 5.0, and USB 2.0 over Type-C. It does, however, drop NFC but gains an FM radio receiver and retains the previous model's 3.5mm audio jack.

The One Fusion+ is said to launch in Europe later this month for €299 ($337) with Android 10 out of the box and will be available in Twilight Blue and Moonlight White.

Permalink to story.

I wish Android manufacturers would spend more time designing devices for fewer price points. It's hard keep track of how many phones Motorola, for example, has. Seems like they have a couple at every price point. Apple did a good job of having one or two phones, making them appear more "exclusive" but recently they started releasing more and more devices. Another benefit to this has gotta be software support. Less devices should, in theory, be easier to support and keep up to date. Usually most of these phones get dropped after a year and have buggy software that never gets fixed.

Not bad at all.

What has reliability been for phones with pop up cameras?
I have Xiaomi Mi 9T for about 6 months and I have face unlock enabled so it has to pop up every time I swipe on the lock screen. No problems so far and I honestly forgot about it which is probably a good thing. It retracts the camera if it detects a fall. I'd say 6 months isn't quite enough to assess the reliability but so far so good.

I wish Android manufacturers would spend more time designing devices for fewer price points. It's hard keep track of how many phones Motorola, for example, has. Seems like they have a couple at every price point. Apple did a good job of having one or two phones, making them appear more "exclusive" but recently they started releasing more and more devices. Another benefit to this has gotta be software support. Less devices should, in theory, be easier to support and keep up to date. Usually most of these phones get dropped after a year and have buggy software that never gets fixed.

I have Xiaomi Mi 9T for about 6 months and I have face unlock enabled so it has to pop up every time I swipe on the lock screen. No problems so far and I honestly forgot about it which is probably a good thing. It retracts the camera if it detects a fall. I'd say 6 months isn't quite enough to assess the reliability but so far so good.

Touch ID has always served me better - and faster - than FaceID. I would prefer it. I can't imagine the face recognizer in any way being faster than the fingerprint scanner - especially when it has to physically move first.

Touch ID has always served me better - and faster - than FaceID. I would prefer it. I can't imagine the face recognizer in any way being faster than the fingerprint scanner - especially when it has to physically move first.
Oh, fingerprint sensor is significantly faster and I mainly use that but if my hands are wet or I'm holding the phone in a weird position cause it's pretty big I just swipe the screen and use face unlock. No other reasons really.

Oh, fingerprint sensor is significantly faster and I mainly use that but if my hands are wet or I'm holding the phone in a weird position cause it's pretty big I just swipe the screen and use face unlock. No other reasons really.

I like the fact that you can train it for multiple fingers so if my right index finger is busy the left one does just as well ...... nice feature.

I like the fact that you can train it for multiple fingers so if my right index finger is busy the left one does just as well ...... nice feature.
Yeah, I heard it's slower then because it has to scan multiple prints instead of one. But that works too.

Not bad at all.

What has reliability been for phones with pop up cameras?
One plus 7 Pro. had it since day one and have not had a single issue. As far as I'm concerned, One plus is the only company that produces android phones! I've had problems with every other vendor.

Back