Motorola Xoom launching on February 17 for $700-$800

Emil

The Motorola Xoom will be available for sale at Best Buy starting on February 17, 2011. Stock is expected to land at the big box retailer the day before, according to Engadget.

The leak suggests that the Best Buy price will be $700. This conflicts with a previous rumor that shows the device with a the minimum advertised price of $800 on Verizon, according to Android Central.

Earlier this month, the Motorola Xoom won the Best in Show Award at CES 2011. For Q1 2011, Motorola has reportedly placed orders for about 700,000 to 800,000 units of the device with four color options.

The Motorola Xoom will ship with Android 3.0 (codenamed Honeycomb) running on Nvidia's Tegra 2 processor, 1GB of DDR2 RAM, 32GB of onboard storage (expandable via SD), a 2-megapixel camera on the front, a 5-megapixel camera with dual LED flash on the back, a micro USB 2.0 port, HDMI out, 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi, as well as Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR. The 10.1-inch tablet has a 1280x800 display resolution. Battery life is said to peak at about 10 hours of video playback. The device will launch in Q1 2011 with 3G functionality, later upgradeable to LTE 4G, and will launch with a LTE 4G model in Q2.

Permalink to story.

Go **** yourselves motorola. Those specs are only marginally better than the Notion Ink Adam. For twice the price.

$700?

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha, no.

This is the several tablet to be after iPad? "Come with Google's Android Honeycomb operating system for tablets, a dual-core processor, a high-resolution (1,280x800) display, dual cameras, and the Verizon 3G (and soon-to-come 4G) network. " I would say all this is an imitation of the iPad, though the iPad now don't have these features, but who can tell why the tablet should get dual-core, it's iPad, and high-resolution display , along with dual cameras, all these are bcz the one who used iPad think it's lack of this features, or can be stronger(better in this field), so I'd to say iPad is the king, and now the iPad 2 is on the road!

Yup, I'm waiting for iPad2. if Apple really do release a greater than Full HD screen on the iPad 2, then amazing! Even though now the 1gen iPad is also not bad with 9.7-inch high-resolution screen, perfect to me for watching HD movies, music videos(though sometimes need the help from iFunia video converter as lack of flash support) and playing around with thousands of iPad apps and iPad games.

Well, it's Apple creates a tablet market, so it's no need to scared of the competitors, I believe Apple will be dominant for at least two years and probably far longer.

Jane55 said:
This is the several tablet to be after iPad? "Come with Google's Android Honeycomb operating system for tablets, a dual-core processor, a high-resolution (1,280x800) display, dual cameras, and the Verizon 3G (and soon-to-come 4G) network. " I would say all this is an imitation of the iPad, though the iPad now don't have these features, but who can tell why the tablet should get dual-core, it's iPad, and high-resolution display , along with dual cameras, all these are bcz the one who used iPad think it's lack of this features, or can be stronger(better in this field), so I'd to say iPad is the king, and now the iPad 2 is on the road!

Yup, I'm waiting for iPad2. if Apple really do release a greater than Full HD screen on the iPad 2, then amazing! Even though now the 1gen iPad is also not bad with 9.7-inch high-resolution screen, perfect to me for watching HD movies, music videos(though sometimes need the help from iFunia video converter as lack of flash support) and playing around with thousands of iPad apps and iPad games.

Well, it's Apple creates a tablet market, so it's no need to scared of the competitors, I believe Apple will be dominant for at least two years and probably far longer.

Where do I start? I'm strained to find anything factual in this post. Lets analyze it.

First of all, your first paragraph doesn't make sense at all. You say it is an imitation of the ipad, then you say how the ipad doesn't have many of these features, and then you say that the ipad is still superior. Why? Because you're an apple fanboy.

Ignoring the first paragraph. You state that you think the ipad 2 will have a resolution surpassing 1920x1080. Perhaps you should read an article about screen technology to figure out why it won't.

You then move on to state that the first gen ipad has a great "high resolution" screen that is great for "watching HD video". Both of those claims are the polar opposite of the truth. The ipad has a low-mid level resolution for the screen size, and it can NOT play full HD video. It simply doesn't have the hardware capability to decode it.

Finally you state "Well, it's Apple creates a tablet market" Were you born the day the ipad released? Tablet computers have been around since 2003. The only reason the ipad took off was fanboys like you who bought the overpriced underpowered product.

My biggest issue with your post is that you don't have a sufficient understanding of the English language. Many of your statements didn't make sense because of how they were worded. Perhaps you should attempt to proofread your posts.

You state that you think the ipad 2 will have a resolution surpassing 1920x1080. Perhaps you should read an article about screen technology to figure out why it won't.
The iPhone 4 has a resolution of 640x960 which is 329 PPI on a 3.5" screen. You have very much implied that 1080p is not possible on a 10" LCD because of technology constraints.

The original iPad has a 9.6" screen. Apple has already proven that 329 PPI screens can be manufactured for them. 1080p on a 9.6" LCD wouldn't even be 250 PPI. So I ask, why is this not possible? Perhaps such an LCD is expensive, but so was a 329ppi LCD for the iPhone.

Finally you state "Well, it's Apple creates a tablet market" Were you born the day the ipad released? Tablet computers have been around since 2003. The only reason the ipad took off was fanboys like you who bought the overpriced underpowered product.
In my unprofessional opinion, being the opposite of an Apple Fanboy is no better.

Regardless of your views of Apple and regardless of the fact tablets have been around well before 2003, Apple has single-handedly created a thriving consumer market for them. Apple has done for tablets what Asus did for Netbooks... No, I don't have numbers, but it seems pretty obvious even from an objective-as-possible standpoint with so many millions of units sold in such a short amount of time.

And while Apple didn't create the tablet, they've put together an attractive, thin tablet that appeals to a lot of people: no stylus necessary, an OS written specifically for touch screen use, long battery life and an easy to use online app system with cellular data connectivity.

My biggest issue with your post is that you don't have a sufficient understanding of the English language. Many of your statements didn't make sense because of how they were worded.
I share your desire for "good" English. It's worth noting that many (I think something like 30%?) of TS readers are International. I imagine a large percentage of those people are second-language English speakers or still English language learners. I really wish people would use correct grammar, spelling etc... But I understand that not everyone can be so capable.

I fail to understand what this device will do for me that will justify 700-800$

Rick said:
Too many words to quote.

I'll address the biggest question in your post. The 9.7 inch screen with a res of over 1920x1080 is possible. But the battery life would be atrocious. Apple won't sacrifice the ipads battery life, especially since apple buyers have been paying a premium for mid range hardware for years. Why stop now?

With regards to his English. Yes many people here do not speak it as a first language. But they TRY to make it proper. He did not even ATTEMPT to make it legible. It had sentences leading nowhere and statements contradicting other contradicting statements. And I can say without a doubt I have never read a more poorly worded post on techspot before.

Princeton said:
Rick said:
Too many words to quote.

I'll address the biggest question in your post. The 9.7 inch screen with a res of over 1920x1080 is possible. But the battery life would be atrocious. Apple won't sacrifice the ipads battery life, especially since apple buyers have been paying a premium for mid range hardware for years. Why stop now?

With regards to his English. Yes many people here do not speak it as a first language. But they TRY to make it proper. He did not even ATTEMPT to make it legible. It had sentences leading nowhere and statements contradicting other contradicting statements. And I can say without a doubt I have never read a more poorly worded post on techspot before.

If it makes it any better, it's a she, not a he. (Hence...!)

No, I have to stop these male chauvinistic thoughts! ;)

Lawfer said:
Princeton said:
Rick said:
Too many words to quote.

If it makes it any better, it's a she, not a he. ;)

I can set my profile picture to anything. Look at Darky from XDA devs. He has his GF as his picture. Got anything else to support that the English challanged poster is a girl? Not that it really matters :p

Princeton said:
Lawfer said:
Princeton said:
Rick said:
Too many words to quote.

I can set my profile picture to anything. Look at Darky from XDA devs. He has his GF as his picture. Got anything else to support that the English challanged poster is a girl? Not that it really matters :p

Well, I would have paid attention to her actual username, but, that's just me.

Lawfer said:
Princeton said:
Lawfer said:
Princeton said:
Rick said:
Too many words to quote.

Still an assumption. Again does it really matter?

Please note I'm just post boosting.

Princeton said:
Lawfer said:
Princeton said:
Lawfer said:
Princeton said:
Rick said:
Too many words to quote.

Still an assumption. Again does it really matter?

Of course it does! You must not have seen my updated first comment!

And again, here I am having the same thoughts...

Really? $700? Why in the world would ANYONE pay $700 for this. $550 max... yeah that is the price I pick

A bit spendy but i'll go play with it at BestBuy for sure... i'm still waiting for more competition to come out so I can pick my favorite.

Does anyone know what type of display panel this uses? e.g. IPS, MVA, TN, etc. I'm hoping it is not a TN or similar with poor viewing angles.

When the IPad 2 is announce I bet it gets that price point or more. A lot of the features of the xoom were left out of the IPad to keep the current pricepoint. Apple has a following and people already bought all those Apps for it, of course their gonna buy another one.
The 3g 64gb version is already at 750 or more. Add a usb port or a sd card reader....

Nowhere does this article even mention what the heck this Xoom device is. I am able to figure it out, but shouldn't a good article mention early on what the subject is?

Back