Mouse Not Responsive, Computer is Slow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good day,

I am having a serious problem with my computer slowing down and my mouse is not responsive (left click). I began by running the 8 step process

Symptoms:
1.) The mouse is VERY slow to respond. I click on an icon, and nothing happens. I click a link in my web browser (Firefox or IE) and nothing happens. I have to click 7,8 or 9 times before it will register.

2.) The computer is MUCH slower than it used to be. (This is true for almost all programs.)

3.) Trying to register a "Big Fish Game" and it instantly fails.

By far the most annoying is the slow mouse. I have been able to "temporary" fix it by opening a command prompt, killing explorer.exe, and then restarting explorer.exe via the command prompt.

I have attached all of the requested information here. I would appreciate ANY ideas. I believe it is a virus or other problem, as a friend (who I Skype with and share files with) is having a similar problem. As an alternative theory, I am using a wireless mouse (Microsoft Wireless Optical Mouse 2.0). I have replaced the batteries multiple times and reinstalled the software.

I have turned off system restore. I have done everything that I can think of.

I REALLY noticed this problem after I installed service pack 3. Could this be the problem, and if so, how do I fix it?

Thank you for your help!

Classic Spyware!

You have classic symptoms of spyware. Here's how you remove it. Go to http://www.download.com and find/download/install/run all of the following anti-spyware utilities:

• AVG 8.0
  • Ad-Aware 2008
  • Spybot Search & Destroy

Repost if you still have problems.

Best,
-- Andy

I ran all 3...

Andy,

Thanks for your help. I ran all 3, but to no avail (only a few double click cookies). I ran AVG before, I run spy sweeper as well. I ran CCleaner, Malwarebytes, SuperAntiSpy, updated java, and made sure windows is fully updated... all to no avail.

If you have any further ideas, I would greatly appreciate it!

THANKS!

Can you open task manager? If so, open it, go under processes, and list them by cpu usage, make it most cpu usage is the first. If theres any thats using 90-99% cpu, tell us what it is.

At this point, the spyware has very likely been removed. But the symptoms persist which means there is Windows system corruption. The next step I would perform is a Windows repair. If you are unfamiliar with how to do this, repost.

The top 5 programs are system idle process... firefox... itunes.exe... outlook.exe and then you go to 0's. (Of course I looked at it before the programs were running and only system idle process was running). Nothing other than system idle process is over 90%.

As for a windows repair... I would do a format and reinstall. (With all of the spyware removal tools I installed, I would do a format anyways.) Is there anything I should verify first? I have reinstalled hundreds of times, but I want to make sure I only have to do it once again (at least this week).

Thank you all for your help!

I would try the Windows Repair first, you never know. If it workds, then it saves you a lot of time and effort that a reformat & re-install would cost.

-- Andy

Having this exact same issue with my system currently... The mouse thing is so freakin annoying! Thanks for some of these tips guys i think i will try the repair later tonight when i get home. If i repair my copy of windows will it delete everything on the harddrive exactly likea format will?

I would suggest just going back to SP 2 i installed SP 3 on my computer recently and i had alot of crashes and slow responses but when i went back to SP 2 all was well....Hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back