Mouse problem = looking for new mouse

Stealth3si

Ever since I migrated from WinXP to Win7 my mouse (800 dpi) has been noticeably slower because I use to be able to amp up the speed and/or acceleration via the Logitech Mouseware software, which isn't compatible with Win7. There is no software update that is compatible with Win7 either. Now I tried messing with the mouse settings on Win 7 but configuring the speed to maximum is no where close to the speed (and sensitivity) as it was before when I was on WinXP. The mouse is only used for desktop applications, internet browsing, etc. It will not be used for gaming.

Now I want to upgrade to a better mouse to get faster (and smoother) and more accurate mouse movement, I think I need a mouse that has higher dpi than 800, no?

If so, what mouse should I buy that would be considered "bang for the buck?"

My budget is $15 to $50 USD, relative prices that I have briefly found on Amazon and eBay.

I have also looked into gaming mouses (Razer, Logitech MX, GX, Avatar, MS, etc) but I don't know if these are overkill for my needs or if there are economical options out there that would better suit my situation.

I would like there to be:

1. an middle button/scroll that is easy to click and has hyper-scroll mode
2. 3 extra programmable/hot buttons that I can use for keyboard commands. (I don't need anymore buttons)
3. Wired
4. Laser or optical
5. a higher DPI than 800? I don't know how much greater in DPI is required to meet my needs.
5. Noticeably better precision, accuracy and speed than my current mouse

I'm the same when it comes to mice; I like mine wired mostly. As it happens i'm on the hunt for a new mouse myself at the moment. My front runner's the Trust GXT 32 gaming mouse, even though i'm not a big gamer.

Wired, 9 buttons, looks great, 2400 dpi, laser...and only £15 ($10)...For the money alone it's worth a try.

I'm a bit of a logitech fan boy (Have 2 x Logitech Revolution MX mice, 1 x Logitech Performance MX and over the years I've had 3 or 4 other generation wireless mice from Logitech). Although the wired gaming mice are usually well respected for their performance and worth considering:

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/mice-pointers/mice/devices/gaming-mouse-g300 - $39.99

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/mice-pointers/mice/devices/5750 - $58.99

Those are direct logitech prices. You'll probably find deals with lower prices elsewhere. If I was after a gaming corded mouse right now I'd be tempted to try the G300, even though I really like the curved shape of the Performance/Revolution MX wireless mice. So I'd have to try the ambidextrous G300 before buying...

Which gaming mouse?

Not an area which I know much about, but a pc mag I buy often, did a test of various mice last year. Types highly rated were, Roccat Kone+, Logitech G500, Mionex Naos 3200.
I look at the mice in my local supermarkets, who have the buying power most small pc dealers could not have, and they seem to be about x3 the price I would think was fair!
I use and prefer an oldish MS Wireless optical 2.0. ( my avatar.)

Another well known UK magazine rates the MS 500 bluetrack wireless.

Back