Mozilla posts Firefox 4 Beta 1 candidate build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

If you're the type to live life on the edge, Mozilla has just posted the Firefox 4 Beta 1 candidate build. The early version has many of the upcoming features we've heard about, including a new menu button that aggregates the most frequently used browser menu options, native compatibility with Windows Vista and 7's Aero Glass interface, a customizable tab bar, and a bookmarks button.

Firefox 4 Beta 1 candidate also relocates the default position of tabs to above the address bar – a move many users claim Mozilla is copying from Chrome and Opera. The organization wants you to know that isn't the case. To set the record straight, Mozilla has released a video explaining the thought behind shifting the tabs northward, and the reasoning seems logical enough.

ConceivablyTech has already tested the early build with SunSpider, and although its performance is an improvement over Firefox 3.6.6, Firefox 4 Beta 1 still trails behind Chrome, Opera, Safari, and even IE9 PP3. You can download beta candidate here, but we wouldn't recommend running it as your primary browser just yet. We haven't seen a due date for the official first beta release, but it shouldn't be far off.

Permalink to story.

I don't mind the change as long as it's a preference. Tabs on top in Chrome was the sole reason I switched back to Firefox shortly after trying Chrome out, I tend to flick through tabs far more than I have to access the URL bar, so tabs-on-top is counterproductive as far as my own browsing behavior is concerned.

If its not broken... leave it the hell alone!

You do know this is merely optional right? Which, of course, was explained in the video you clearly didn't even watch.

@ the second guest, third guest was right. You should have watched the video instead of looking like an *****, lol.

As for me, i'll keep tabs on the bottom. The reasoning for moving to the top just wasn't good enough for me. I have no problem where they are now. And someone thinks that the back and forward buttons control changing tabs, those people shouldn't be using a computer. There's a reason they are sitting next to the navigation bar...it's called common sense :p

I did watch the Video,but the two of you, clearly missed my point and missed the down side of this new option by not paying attention to details in the video as to why this is not a great idea.

So lets try this again: If its not broken _______ !

There are downsides to both top and bottom. I've talked to some who prefer it on the bottom, and some who prefer it on top. This is not a "if it aint broke, don't fix it" situation, this is a personal preference situation. The greatest thing about firefox is its high customization. And this just adds to it. No need to get all mad about it when it's clearly an option. Don't like it? Don't use it...simple enough.

As long as we can continue to customise Firefox, all will be well.

Long explanation not really needed on the issues of tabs, made longer by the fact Alex Faaborg voice is SOOO annoying it sounds like he is being strangled.

I found the explanation satisfactory on top of my preference being for it to be on the top as well. For the reasons they mentioned, it'll be very easy for a first time user to figure out what interacts with what.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back