MSI GTX Hawk SLI and a dead PSU

fullmetalvegan

So I appear to have a problem. I acquired some new pc parts to build a new computer and I've had a power supply die on me. It happens when the second GPU is connected and the SLI cable attached. Basically, it'll run fine on one card and I'm able to get Windows installed etc, then the moment I connect the PSU; 30 seconds later it died. Unsure what the problem is, and unsure what to troubleshoot on another PSU in case it blows up as well. =S

My theory is, with the case I have, although the case allows ventilation on the bottom where one might assume the PSU fan can point (and I was actually advised to face the exhaust this way), actually pointing the exhaust down at it causes the PSU to heat up and die. So I'm assuming if I ignore being told to face it down, and the flip the PSU upside down (so the text is upside down and the exhaust faces up) towards the GPU's - it won't heat up and this should stop it from exploding.

Comments?

AMD Phenom II X6 1090T
Asus M4N98TD-EVO AM3 NForce980a
MSI GTX460 1G Hawk DDR5 x 2
OCZ 240G Vertex II Series SSD Primary
Western Digital 2TB Green 64MB SATAII Slave
Western Digital 1TB Green 64MB SATAII Slave
NZXT Phantom
* Corsair HX-1000 1000W ATX Modular Power Supply

EDIT: Ooops, that's the PSU, more than enough power for this setup. ;D

My theory is, with the case I have, although the case allows ventilation on the bottom where one might assume the PSU fan can point (and I was actually advised to face the exhaust this way), actually pointing the exhaust down at it causes the PSU to heat up and die. So I'm assuming if I ignore being told to face it down, and the flip the PSU upside down (so the text is upside down and the exhaust faces up) towards the GPU's - it won't heat up and this should stop it from exploding.
I did not understand that.

You fail to even include your powersupply in the parts list.

My bad, listed now. Corsair HX-1000 1000W ATX Modular Power Supply.

Okay, what I mean is, the case has a filter below the power supply bay where it appears a fan could be mounted, and I was told to face the large PSU exhaust fan towards it, which means, technically it is the right way up; ie the Corsair text on the side isn't upside down.

How ever I believe this causes it to generate too much heat when in SLI mode, so it should actually be upside down so the exhaust faces up towards the roof of the case, not the bottom where the fan slot is.

So the airflow would be:

<-- Rear Exhaust
.| Bottom Exhaust
\/
--------------- Case Floor Where Fan Vent Is

But I'm suggest the opposite.

/\
.| Bottom Exhaust, now facing up.
<---
-------------------- Case Floor, PSU Directing Air towards roof instead.

Nod, I assumed this, when I bought the case I was told to have text right way up but I assumed this was wrong. It should be safe to try SLI again with the text upside down correct?

Basically, is there ever a history of a faulty GPU or SLI cable causing a PSU to die that rapidly? D:

Nope, but the PSU can die if airflow is obstructed, and a lot of power is being pulled from it at the same time.

Back