Msiexec.exe encountered a problem - install incomplete

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aimsbury

Hi All,

I've been having all sorts of problems with my PC lately (running XP). I have been trying to update my graphics drivers, and it goes through the motions of installing but during the 'utillity' installation phase, installation stops and I get a message saying msiexec.exe encountered a problem and needs to close.

I only get this message when trying to install a programme so at the moment, am reasonably confident this is a genuine message, and not something coming up to get me to download spyware etc (I've searched a few forums and this is possible apparently).

Could anyone help me out please? I would be most appreciative

Many thanks

Windows Installer

Thank you - I will try that now.

In the meantime, I have also updated the audio driver (realtek '97). They seemed to install ok, but asked me to restart.

When I did this, I also had windows updates to install so clicked ok.

I got a message saying msiexec.exe encountered a problem
0x7d2bd4d3 referenced memory at 0x00000008. The memory could not be "read"

I also got a message about syncmaster but the computer shut down before I could write down the error code

Does that give you any clues?

Many apologies - I consider myself a newbie at all this and am a bit wary of changing registry entries which I think is what the windows installer log support is asking me to do. Is there a dummies guide anyone can recommend?

Sorry!

The link i gave tells two ways to do it.

Good point, don't modify the registry. But read the section on how to Enable Windows Installer Logging by Modifying Group Policy

Cool - I'll try that one.

As the error said something about memory, am currently running a memtest just to be sure.

I've got 2 passes so far. On test 8 on number 3 - fingers crossed!

Thanks for your help so far. I hope we get this fixed simply!

Regards x

--------

Update - memtest came back with 20 passes (left it running since yesterday afternoon and overnight). Will try with windows installer thing now

_______

Update 2

Just tried to change the group policy as per the windows support thread. Did start, run, open and typed gpedit.msc but got the red cross message saing that windows cannot find it. Now I'm lost... any ideas?

Thanks

________

Update 3 - Sunday 10th May, 12.30pm (UK time)

I had a look around the windows support site about msiexec issues. I tried a couple of things that didn't work (unregistering the windows installer and reregistering etc).

In the end, I found the page with the latest version of Windows Installer and instaled that. On the restart after reinstalling, I got an error message, but I think that's because the update had not taken effect and that the error message was warning me of an issue on shut down, not start up (it couldn't download the auto updates that were waiting). I did get a message about Sync Service with the error code of 0x012e615 though

I've now managed to successfully download the driver updates for my graphics card and also the latest patch for World of Warcraft for my other half which I haven't managed to do since it was released 4 weeks ago! I've won some brownie points there!

On a second reboot, the automatic updates seem to have installed themselves as I have not had another error message about msiexec.exe or sync service so I am hoping that the hotfix has rectified the problem.

I still have a few issues with the pc, but for now, at least I am able to download and update software. Still can't find the gpedit.msc file but hope I don't need it anymore! Will be in touch again if I have any more problems,

Many thanks
Amy x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back