Multiple BSOD intermittently x50,x8E, x7E

Status
Not open for further replies.

spiketwo

Multiple BSOD intermittently x50,x8E, x7E, x0A

Hi. I recently have this problem of intermittent BSODs out of no where. Most of the time when I wasn't using the PC (left it on for P2P or just idle). I can not reproduce the BSOD. The PC can stay up fine for weeks without BSOD-ing.

I have ran memtest for 17+ passes (left overnight) without problems. Haven't encountered any BSODs during gamings, movies or other activities. All drivers up to date, AV (kaspersky 2009) updated too. I don't think the PSU is causing the problem as my calculated required wattage is about 400+ while I have a Enermax 600w psu. No overheat issues too.

These are my specs (all stock no OC yet):

Intel Core2Duo E8400 E0
Crucial Ballistix Tracer Red 2x2GB
WD 250GB + 500GB SATA 2
Gigabyte 9800GTX 512MB
Creative X-Fi Xtreme Music
Win XP Pro SP2
Biostar TPower I45 (latest bios, chipset and onboard LAN drivers)

attached is the zip file of my mini dumps. please help!
thanks a lot for your time!

I read all 7 of your minidumps and here is the breakdown:

2 errors are 0x00000050: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
Requested data was not in memory. An invalid system memory address was referenced. Defective memory (including main memory, L2 RAM cache, video RAM) or incompatible software (including remote control and antivirus software) might cause this Stop message, as may other hardware problems (e.g., incorrect SCSI termination or a flawed PCI card).

Both cited Windows OS drivers which are too general to be of much help.

1 error is 0x0000007E: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
A system thread generated an exception which the error handler did not catch. There are numerous individual causes for this problem, including hardware incompatibility, a faulty device driver or system service, or some software issues.

This one specifically cited memory corruption which would explain the randomness of your crashes. You ran Memtest but bad RAM has been know to occasionally pass this test. Also, is motherboard setting the memory voltage correctly? We've seen quite a bit of memory corruption errors occur not because the RAM itself was bad but because the BIOS did not have the voltage set correctly for the RAM in question.

The last 4 errors are 0x8E and these are almost always caused by hardware issues and are particularly a strong indicator of corrupted memory. However, these errors can sometimes be caused by drivers.

One driver was another Windows one; not much help.

However, one driver cited is sptd.sys and this belongs to Daemon Tools. It was blocking klif.sys from loading which belongs to your Kaspersky. We have seen many people have issues with this driver and this software.

In addition, klif.sys itself was cited twice as the cause of your crashes.

Suggestion: Daemon Tools will engage at Start Up. Tweak it that it will not do so and only engage when you need it. See if this stops your BSODs and don't forget looking into your voltage settings on your memory. Crucial will tell you the recommended Stock Setting.

Hi. thanks for the reply.

I remembered last time one of the 7E was caused by some netbt.sys. not really sure what was it. I googled but the results varied. Anyways, I have already disabled daemon auto start since I installed it. hmmm...I wonder how come there're still conflicts. I will try the voltage setting thingy later. However, this PC was setup last year November. It ran smoothly until this recently it gone haywire (no bios setting change in between). Could it really be the RAM? bios settings was set to "normal" by default. non overclock since last year Nov.

I encountered another BSOD as we speak (typing in this forum). I sense something is dying in a faster rate now. Or there's a seriously corrupted driver? Is there any possibilities that onboard LAN could be the culprit?

I have looping BSOD (some x50, some IRQ not less or equal) during startups for the last BSOD until I have to manually press the "Off" button on the case, and restart it then load windows in last known configuration.

Some save files in my Crysis Warhead can't be loaded. It crash to desktop. Then the PC will BSOD after that (happened twice, i will try to see if i could reproduce it later). hmmm...oh, by the way, i ran the western digital HDD diagnosis test on one of my HDD (the OS and games) and the result passed.

Another 0x8E and klif.sys was cited again. We have had a number of people have issues with this particular Kaspersky driver. There is quite a bit concerning this driver on the net and their forums.

However, the fact that Daemon Tools has showed up in one of your minidumps means that some remnants still remain behind and the thing about left over drivers/executibles is that they still attempt to "engage" their protocol even though the software itself has been removed.

I would first do a search for all things related to Daemon on your system.

hi. thanks for the trouble my friend.
i've updated the sptd.sys from daemon to latest version. If it shows up again, i will try to disable it in registry. worst case, I will remove it totally.

however, last night while searching for daemon and klif related info, I tried to run memtest again, and this time, it gave errors, though I do not know how to decipher. Could it be previous BSODs corrupted the data in the RAM? I mean if it's the voltage problem, how come only now that it appeared? won't it come out on the first day when everything was put together?

Good questions. The bottom line on Memtest and errors is this: If you have errors you have corrupted memory that cannot be fixed only replaced. Why memory goes bad is anybody's guess but when I saw you have Crucial Ballistix memory it wouldn't suprise me in the least.

Crucial is one of the world's largest memory makers and I have their memory in an 8year old Pentium 3 system that still chugs along as well as in laptops and one of my socket 939 system. They make great memory but their Ballistix memory has seen more than its fair share of failure. I'm one who speaks from personal experience.

Back in the DDR days their Ballistix PC4000 in particular and to a significant degree their PC3200 were failing at the 6 month mark. It was fine for 6 months then began to corrupt. This happened whether memory was overclocked or stock. Mine was PC3200 in a 4x512 configuration in a brand new build. About 6 months later I was BSODing and the frequency increased. Long story short one of four sticks went corrupt. Crucial replaced it free of charge and the other sticks along with the newest one are still doing well. (they had issues in their DDR2 Ballistix as well)

So to answer your question, memory can start off well and then corrupt. Why? No one has yet to be able to answer that question adequately.

Also, it goes a long way to explaining why you were getting so many 0x8E errors. You have a nice system there, let us know what you will do. Crucial should do good if you RMA that memory (make sure you go to their sight first and request an RMA), but it will take a little time. Whatever you do make sure you send them the sticks that are bad. You can run the test on each stick individually.

hmm...thanks for the explanation Route44. can we conclude that after all these while, it is the ram that's the problem? not daemon or kaspersky? yeah, I did a search on google after what you said and found out that there are quite a number of failing crucial sticks. :(

before sending for RMA, i will try individual stick test. but first, I will try upping the voltage a bit and do experiment. It is good to learn new things when bad stuff occurred. :lol:
I will post back here with the results later.

update: testing 1.
totally power off the PC. unplugged the power source. and power on PC again.
Performed memtest straightaway, no errors found. :confused: not yet upped the voltage.

now it really bugs me. lol...
how am I gonna proceed with RMA without permanent errors?

Find the recommended stock voltage of your RAM via Crucial. Does the Auto setting in your BIOS match the recommendation? We have seen where the Auto settings were actually set at another voltage as opposed to the recommended setting.

Ok. will try that right away. Btw, is there a way to check current ram voltage in windows?
I have everest but unsure where to get the exact value.

Crucial stated Specs: DDR2 PC2-6400 • 4-4-4-12 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR2-800 • 2.0V • 256Meg x 64 • So this means i need to set to 2.0V? but the stickers on the RAM stated 2.2V. Which one do I follow?

by the way, I have updated the sptd.sys from 1.50 to 1.58. People reported to have BSODs caused by old sys files. Will continue monitoring.

First, I would see if the BIOS on auto has it set at either 2.0 or 2.2. If 2.0 then set the voltage at 2.2 and vice-versa. If neither, then first try at 2.0 and then 2.2 -- whichever seems to bring you stability.

okay. thanks man.

update 2:
- updated sptd.sys from 1.5 to 1.58.
- updated KIS (kaspersky).
- upped RAM voltage from 1.85v (auto) to 1.95v (manual).

will monitor under these conditions.

Another crash detected (0x50 PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA) after letting P2P (thunder.exe, some china software that said to bypass torrent shaping :suspiciou) programme running and firefox on. The P2P programme gave error first and crashed, then followed by firefox. (It happened before). And this is the time when clicking on the desktop for a while, the BSOD would appear. However, I am not sure if it is the P2P software that is corrupting the RAM.

I have the dump file here. What does it indicates? Will keep the current setting and try some other apps or games to see if it reproduce anymore BSODs.

by the way, the RAM voltage is currently running at 1.98v instead of 1.95v (typo).

The 0x50 error gave nothing definitive to work with. We have seen P2P issues quite a bit here. I would uninstall to see if it brings stability.

ok. will do that.

by the way, I have also reset cmos before this, and set the voltage as mentioned earlier. Reseated the GC, RAMs and soundcard. See if these would help.

will report back shortly if I've any more findings.

after 8 days running without much problems, gaming, downloading, surfing...today I encountered another BSOD.

The system began unstable last night when I was playing Unreal Tournament 3 with MSN running on background. Suddenly the graphics became corrupted into block shapes and I have to alt-tab to kinda "refresh" the game back to its original graphical state. Continue playing after that and did not see anymore corrupted images. However, sense that the machine is tad bit slow in processing sometimes, I rebooted the PC and things seem fine. And this morning ...poof...BSOD. I gotta feeling on this will happen last night when the system became unstable. LOL...

anyway, here is the minidump. what could it indicates?
thanks a bunch!

Your error is 0xA and these are caused either by hardware issues or drivers. In your case memory corruption was cited as the cause for your crash.

hi route44. thanks. does it mention any files that caused it?
hmm...so this leads to the RAM problem? I've encountered another 0x0A. IRQ not less or equal.
It seems that RAM rma is inevitable. :(

attached another x0A dump.

Your latest 0xA minidump cites memory corruption again. No files were cited in either one.

If you are going to RMA and your memory came in a 2x1 kit Crucial is going to require you to send both back.

thanks for the tips bro. will do that in a jiffy.

by the way, just out of curiosity, is there a possibility that incompatible network/NIC drivers would cause this? those memory corruptions? it doesn't seem related altogether to me tho. :lol:

The thing with corrupted memory is that it can wreck havoc across the board even throwing out different error codes and citing other causes, but in essence it is bad RAM.

As to your question the answer is most definitely, but nothing in the dumps themselves lent to such an answer.

By the way, when RMA make sure you do everything they say int he correct order.

ok thanks. i will write them an email then.
by the way, any reports that the RMA-ed ram (which is assumed to be newer versions), fail at the same rate? lol...i don't wanna RMA all day.

which ram brand do you recommend? corsair? ocz?

ok thanks. i will write them an email then.
by the way, any reports that the RMA-ed ram (which is assumed to be newer versions), fail at the same rate? lol...i don't wanna RMA all day.

which ram brand do you recommend? corsair? ocz?

I have had good experience myself with OCZ though Corsair makes decent RAM as well. You might want to look into G.Skill.

I will say this, Crucial tested and replace my bad stick of Ballistix free of charge (minus shipping cost on my end) and I haven't had an issue since.

okay. thanks. the problem is because i live far off from USA, so the postage fee itself for DHL could buy me new pair of sticks. LOL...until i resolve a cheaper way...hmm...

my DDR400 last time was Gskill. good 3 years of usage. no problems.

okay. thanks. the problem is because i live far off from USA, so the postage fee itself for DHL could buy me new pair of sticks. LOL...until i resolve a cheaper way...hmm...

my DDR400 last time was Gskill. good 3 years of usage. no problems.

Hmmm, it seems buying new memory would be cheaper! And, to be honest, I don't like/trust DHL all that much. I've had issues.

Let us know what you decide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back