Multiple offices

Hello, I am currently working as the IT for this clinic and 9 other clinics as well. We are all networked in together despite being miles apart from one another. We currently have an older computer running XP as a file server, so certain files can be accessed and updated from any of these clinics. The problem is, that there can only be 20 users accessing it at once. We have grown just in the short time I have been here. This computer was setup before I was hired on. We are now in need another computer to give us the same functions. Most of our computers now are on Windows 7 64bit. There are still plenty Xp computers as well. I am wondering how to get a Windows 7 computer to host files in the same way. I can get it to where this entire building can access this public folder but none of the other clinics can. Are ip setup is like this. 192.168.1.x---192.168.10.x The second to last digit represents the office. There will be 10 offices in all that will need access. Any ideas how to make it so all offices can reach this folder?

P.S. I can dig up an Xp computer if it will be easier.

I can get it to where this entire building can access this public folder but none of the other clinics can. Are ip setup is like this. 192.168.1.x---192.168.10.x The second to last digit represents the office.
Does each office have it's own ISP connection? If so, the 192.168.1.x---192.168.10.x are meaningless to your problem,
as each office must come thru your gateway server (hopefully via a VPN) and each local LAN is not a contributor.

As LNCPapa suggested, your problem is getting more than 10 concurrent connections and you need
  1. a windows server system (ie expensive)
  2. a linux file server (much cheaper, but also need a tad of Linux experience

Being limited from 10-20 users wont be a problem. We do have VPN that was set up by an outside IT company before I was hired on. As for the IP giving by our ISP for each clinic, I do not have that information or anything on the VPN. I have a meeting with the tech that set all this up and his boss next Thursday. I will probably have to wait until then to take the next step forward. I do know we have two Cicso ASA's, that I do not have access to.

Others have suggested a Linux fileserver, which would be a big cost savings of a windows server option. However, lets not leave out looking at a NAS device to do the job. There are many 3rd party vendors that have awesome NAS solutions for small business, off the top of my head I'm thinking Buffalo Technologies. Also don't forget about FreeNAS.org. Hope this helps!!

NAS can handle the data just fine, but the user is still stuck attempting to Map Drives from too many clients - - ergo the need for Linux or Windows Server Systems

Thank you for all the great ideas. The hosting device I believe really isn't the issue for me at the moment. My issue is having all the clinics that are tied together via our VPN having access to the same folder. Which it is looking more like a VPN configuration to allow a certain port to be available to everyone that is tied together.

Back