1. TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users. Ask a question and give support. Join the community here.
    TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users.
    Ask a question and give support.
    Join the community here, it only takes a minute.
    Dismiss Notice

Music publishers follow the RIAA's lead, sue LimeWire

By Matthew ยท 9 replies
Jun 17, 2010
  1. Eight music publishers have teamed up to pursue legal action against LimeWire, which is already treading deep water after losing a significant case against the RIAA. In that case, a judge granted the file-sharing service a two-week reprieve after being found liable for copyright infringement, induced copyright infringement, and unfair competition.

Read the whole story

2. $150,000 for each song?! Holy Moley!

3. Basher

Basher TS Rookie Posts: 54

I'm glad I started using Yahoo Music years ago. Now I use Rhapsody since they combined with Yahoo Music and offered me the same $6 a month unlimited plan. I haven't pirated music in years.

4. F*ck the riaa is all i gotta say, 150,000 for each song what are those greedy sons of b*tches gona do with all that money ???

5. Matthew

Matthew TechSpot Staff Topic Starter Posts: 5,307   +100

It's probably worth noting that the industry always seeks $150,000 per infringed article because it's the highest permitted by law -- or so I believe (anyone care to confirm that?). They strive for the maximum but rarely (if ever) receive it.

6. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 3,031   +787

I'm kinda glad limewire is going down, that place had more evils than just pirated music!

7. Jibberish18

Jibberish18 TS Evangelist Posts: 582   +50

8. Armanian

Armanian TS Enthusiast Posts: 43   +19

"$150,000 for each song shared illegally on LimeWire"

Each song?? That wont run into the hundreds of millions, that will run into the billions. Well i can say with confidence that nobody will have to pay out that much. So long for limewire, although i will say a new P2P software will come out anytime soon, or people will just move onto the next.

9. matrix86

matrix86 TS Guru Posts: 826   +32

AWESOME! Now we can actually pay to download viruses!
    :p

10. Oh yea? how so?

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.