My 6600GT is Overheating

Status
Not open for further replies.

nissanman

Hello

Ill make this quick. My GeForce 6600GT AGP has suddenly started overheating. When its idling it sits at around 63 degrees, but quickly rises to 80 - 90 while gaming and artifacts begin to appear. It wasnt doing this yesterday. It only just started happening today.

What could be causing all this overheating? My room isnt at all that warm and my case has good ventilation. Also, the GPU fan is spinning.

Thanks, Nissanman.

edit: i was using both Everest and SpeedFan for monitoring the temps.

To lower the temps you could try removing the heatsink and fan, cleaning off the die, and applying your own thermal paste. This lowered my gpu temps by 10 degrees Celsius.

Ive already replaced the thermal compound. It has silver thermal paste on it (not arctic silver). The thing is though. Before it started overheating the temps were roughly 50c idle and 65c under load. What could cause the temperature to rise so much suddenly?

Could it be a damaged resistor on the card? Or maybe the GPU itself is damaged?

The time it takes to reach 80 - 90 degrees while gaming is about 5 - 10 seconds. But i dont think the heatsink isnt making proper contact with the core because if it wasnt, the heatsink would be colder then normal. Not hotter then normal like it is now.

Though i did apply the thermal compound a long time ago. Im ganna get some new thermal paste soon. Ill post my results after ive reapplied it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back