My CDROM icon is missing

After formatting mu computer my CDROM does not show up in My computer or on desktop. However it is working properly and shows up in the BIOS. There's no "!" or "?" in Device Manager and its there.

However in all the fixes that take me to the bit about lower and upper filter values, they do not appear in the line they are supposed to.

I run XP. I also tried that applicacion called dvdunhide and nothing happened.

Please help!

1.) Did you install the drivers for your CD drive?
2.) Does it auto-play anything when you put a disk in?

Hi

It didn't work. It says.

"Fix it troubleshooting cannot continue because an error occred

We're sorry, but Microsoft Automated Troubleshooting Services failed to install. Please try again later."

I tried twice. Thanx

Ah, you can find out this way:

1.) Start
2.) Run
3.) type and enter "msinfo32"
4.) on the left hand side expand the Components menu
5.) highlight the CD-ROM sub-menu.
6.) What does it say the name of the device is?

It didn't work. It says.

"Fix it troubleshooting cannot continue because an error occred

We're sorry, but Microsoft Automated Troubleshooting Services failed to install. Please try again later."

I tried twice. Thanx
Hmmm..... On the one hand, I don't know for certain if that FixIT tool will fix your problem, but on other hand it just might (at least based on it's title of fixing missing DVDs)

The MS FixIt tool does have a couple dependencies so let's check if you have them installed.

1. Download and run MyUninstaller. (fyi... Windows Add/Remove Programs doesn't really show you everything installed. Tho don't uninstall any new things you might see appear using MyUninstaller unless you understand what it is)

2. Then tell us if you find entries for:
> Windows PowerShell(TM) 1.0 and
> MSXML 6.0 Parser (or something similar BUT it MUST indicate version 6.0. Any earlier MSXML versions won't work with MS FixIt)

Install this Windows PowerShell 1.0 English-Language Installation Package for Windows XP (KB926139)

(which itself i see is dependant on NET framework v2.0.) Don't ya love all the MS depencies!

So let's approach it this way: Run Windows Update. Select Custom updates
> Be sure to install all Critical and all Hardware Optional updates
> Also look through its list of Software Optional updates. Be sure to install any Software optional updates having anything to do with
===> MSXML
===> Powershell
===> NET or NET framework

Repeat Windows Custom updates till no more updates reported for what you need to install (per above). Then reboot and try the FixIT again. I'll keep my fingers crossed ;)

/* edit */
p.s. also feel free to install any additional software optional updates you see if you feel like it / should it sound like you might want it as well

Back