My Computer Freezes During Games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syrak

I just built a computer for myself so I wouldn't have to deal with things like this. I can run regular programs like iTunes or Word Processor fine. I can surf the internet fine. But whenever I play a game that puts stress on my computer, it will usually freeze after awhile. I can get it to crash faster by maxing all the settings. I think its the RAM, but I already returned the last ones, and put in two ones. I think it might still be the RAM with incorrect voltages or something...i dunno. Any suggestions?

Heres my specs:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 @ 3GHz not overclocked
ASUS P5N32-E SLI Plus
G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) (PC2 6400)
MSI NX8800Ultra

More to add

I was told to download a memory test program so I did. When I ran it it said I had 12 errors and then after awhile it froze my computer also. Does this mean I have another set of bad ram? or could the voltages be off or something?

even more confused

after seeing that maybe it was the ram, i wanted to see if it was a certain stick. so i took one out, and ran the mem test on it. worked fine. then i switched it out, ran the mem test, and that one ran fine. any ideas?

Couple things I would try first:

Have you switched the slot you have the memory installed in? example instead of using slots 1 and 3 use 2 and 4 (or your dual channel might be 1and 2 or 3 and 4)

What Power Supply are you using? Id assume since you bought the components that you got a sufficient PSU for the 8800, but we should just check to be sure.

G.Skill is usually a fair brand to buy. For 2 rounds of ram to go bad is weird.

i'll try that

thanks, ill see if by putting them in slots 2 and 4 will help.

my power supply is a Thermaltake Toughpower W0116RU 750W

well kinda.... I ran the mem test again and this time it didn't freeze my computer like it usually does, just said i had errors copying files. However, i have been trying to get my computer to crash by playing games like it usually does, with all setting maxed, and it hasn't yet. HciDesign says you shouldn't get any errors tho. Does this mean its the motherboard?

Update your bios ... if there is an update ...
By what you are saying sounds like memory .. also try to "crash" the PC with one mem stick... or with both, but in single channel ... as "almost" last resort try to downclock the memory... if all fails try a different memory ...

regards

I don't get blue screens when it freezes. Also I just put the ram into another computer, ran tests on it for hours, with no errors what so ever. I even put 2 different sticks that I know are good into this computer, and it was getting errors and freezing this computer with the new ram too. So the ram is now ruled out. I'm starting to think its the motherboard...anyone?

In the "administrative tools" (in control panel) there is an "event viewer" can you check if there are any errors (aplication or system)..
also it could be graphics card issues (drivers or hardware) since the freeze only occurs during games...
Try to run "3dmark" or other 3d testing software...

Also could you post complete system specs? (in your profile)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back