My computer will not play or recognize CDs, what can I do?

I have a Sony Vaio with windows XP Professional 2002, I know it old, to the best of my knowledge it up to date the cd driver is newer, approx. 8 yrs. original would not open anymore. the cd driver is an LG CD-RW CED-8083B. Now when I put a cd into the cd drive, the cd icon appears on the curser and you hear the disk move a little but, the only disk it seem to want to play is one legit cd and this old burnt cd i have, a pop up opens and ask what i want to do with the disk, and then I play the cd on itunes. It dosen't recognize older or newer legit cds and it won't play them.

When i go into my computer and click on the cd drive, nothing shows up and it dose not give me the message to insert disk, even when I don't have a disk in it. I attempt the same thing on the dvd drive, when there's a disk in the dvd drive it dose the same thing as in the cd drive, and i click on the drive from my computer I seems to want to load something because it take a few second to go into the drive but, then it gives a message to insert disk, the message to insert disk to drive pop up quickly when there is no disk in the dvd drive. I've attempted several fixes: deleted the Upperfilter and Lowerfilter, updating driver, what else can I do other that purchasing a new driver?

You should be able to find a NEW replacement on eBay for $27 to $50 on a lucky day. They are not difficult to replace. You can never count on one that is used very much to last a long time.

Back