My Documents, Music, etc, heading to D:/?

bornhackerx

So I was on one of my clients computers yesterday, and he wanted me to correct his partitions. His C:/ had less space than his D:/. So I was going to delete D: and just partition all the space onto the C: partition. But then I encountered a problem, D:/ Wouldn't format. And As I was in the Start Menu, I seen that his "My documents, etc, tabs were leading to his D:/ Drive. So I haven't encountered this problem before, So I just deleted what Windows wasn't using on his D:/ drive. And partitioned the space equally from C: and D:.

Question is, How do I direct the start tabs, and all his downloads etc, to his C:/Documents settings/Downloads tab, instead of his D:/ drive. Any help would be appreciated, pretty sure this is easy to fix. He is running Windows XP.

Thanks alot for any help.

I believe it was as easy as right clicking on my documents and selecting move.

All I remember is that this option was not available from some locations, as in, if you right click on "My Documents" in Explorer it will not give you the option, but from the start Menu it should.

EDIT:

Try Right Click and Properties then Move!

That should happen only with right clicks on shortcuts rather than the actual item or designated ICON.

I would also try a right click on the Start Button, select properties, Make sure Start Menu and not the Classic Start Menu is selected, then click on Customize in front of Start Menu, then select the Advanced Tab, make sure My Documents is set to Show as link not menu.

Let us know.

That should happen only with right clicks on shortcuts rather than the actual item or designated ICON.

I would also try a right click on the Start Button, select properties, Make sure Start Menu and not the Classic Start Menu is selected, then click on Customize in front of Start Menu, then select the Advanced Tab, make sure My Documents is set to Show as link not menu.

Let us know.

For some reason, this only worked for the My Documents tab, others aren't changing. Ill figure something out, thanks for the help.

FWIW...what folders did it not work for? If you selected to move My Document by default My Music and My Pictures should also be changed. To the best of my knowledge you cannot change the default directory of any folder other than those I have listed that you did not create. In other words, with the exception of My Documents, you cannot change the default directory of system folders.

Well if you need to move any file, other than a system file it's not a big deal to move. Let us know how it goes. There are some really smart people on this forum.... One of us will figure it out for ya..

For some reason, this only worked for the My Documents tab, others aren't changing. Ill figure something out, thanks for the help.
That is because "others" are not supposed to change ;)

My Music and My Pictures are already inside "My Documents" and move when you move "My Documents"

My Computer does not move and Recent Documents is in the User's directory and filled with shortcuts, no need to move.

Main reason to move is to keep C:\ drive light in case people partition and allocate small amount to C and leave other huge partition for storage, games and such but never use them. Same people or most still go and fill their Desktop with folders and huge files, another mistake and cause of some problems with "explorer.exe" keeping tab on all the items sometimes in 10s if not 100s of GB.

EDIT:

Question is, How do I direct the start tabs, and all his downloads etc, to his C:/Documents settings/Downloads tab, instead of his D:/ drive. Any help would be appreciated, pretty sure this is easy to fix. He is running Windows XP.

Thanks alot for any help.
Sorry, just saw this, not clear to me, are these just Data or you talking applications too, does he have a "Program Files" folder in D:\ as well?
Data could easily move but applications and their paths not at easy but doable, requires Registry edits after move.

Back