My Father's Vista Home Basic Keeps getting the BSOD

Status
Not open for further replies.

JuliusCaesar

My father has a Windows Vista Home Basic, which I confess I know little about, preferring XP myself. However, he keeps getting the BSOD. He is not very good with computers, and does not take optimum care of his, i.e., he does not run virus scans often and when he does it is usually with non updated antivirus, but i just made sure he ran a scan with updated antivirus and it turned up empty. The BSOD says something about a driver, but then it shuts off itself quickly before I can read the whole thing. It happens several times a week, but he does not use his computer that much. I cannot attach the minidumps, because it says that I do not have permission, even though I am logged onto an admin account.

Compressing the files isn't important since they are relatively small anyway and it only takes longer for the tech's to open them. Try logging in to the system under 'safe mode' and try that method. 'bad_pool_header' does typically refer to a driver. You mentioned you ran virus software. Which program did you use, and you run a complete scan? How long does it take upon system start before the BSOD comes up? The next step would be (while under safe mode- the BSOD shouldn't pop up there) disable your ethernet card for your internet hook up (under network connections-select 'local area connection' right click, and disable. If this is a laptop, and you're connecting to the internet wirelessly, disable the wireless connection. Reboot normally and see if that problem disappears. If that works it may be a faulty driver or conflict somewhere in your system. When you write your reply, and you answer the above questions, please also give the complete specs to your computer. Without that info, we can't continue any further...

Ok, these 4 minidumps and the one that I attached earlier are the 5 most recent. The antivirus full scans were with Spybot Search and Destroy and McAfee Security Suite. Not sure what information about the computer you are looking for. Here is System Info:
Manufacturer: Dell
Model: Inspiron I1520
Processor: Intel (R) Pentium (R) Dual CPU T2310 @ 1.46GHz 1.46 GHz
Memory (RAM): 2038 MB
System Type: 32-bit Operating System

The BSOD does not come up very often, usually only once or twice a day with lots of use. The BSOD does not seem to have particular times when it pops up, it is rather random. I do not understand, do you want me to disconnect from the wireless network and see if I get the BSOD?

"Bad_Pool_Header" in most cases (I know of) relate to an ethernet driver. I am not saying that is necessarily tour problem, but if you disconnect the wirelss, it will help narrow it down until a tech can examine the dump files. :)

The driver mfehidk.sys has been cited in three of your dumps as the issue. This driver belongs to McAfee software. I suggest either uninstalling or reinstalling or updating.

*** There are better solutions than McAfee that take up less resources.

Also, there are other error codes but since this driver is dominate go with working on McAfee first.

McAfee is uninstalled, Avast! is installed and on a full Hard Drive Scan did not find anything, if I get the BSOD I will post the minidumps here.

Avast is very good. Make sure McAfee is fully uninstalled otherwise left over drivers will most likely cause issues.

Look forward on hearing how it goes.

I deleted the file in Program Files, so I think I have fully removed it. No issues yet.

Whoa! I don't mean to get in the middle of things here... What do you mean delete? If you're referring to the McAfee, I definitely hope you "uninstalled" through the control panel and not just "deleted":suspiciou

I uninstalled through the control Panel and then deleted any files that the uninstall did not delete. I have attached the latest Minidump, and this came after the McAfee uninstall.

Whoa! I don't mean to get in the middle of things here... What do you mean delete? If you're referring to the McAfee, I definitely hope you "uninstalled" through the control panel and not just "deleted":suspiciou

Very good point.

One error was 0xC5: DRIVER_CORRUPTED_EXPOOL
An attempt occurred to touch invalid memory at a process IRQL that is too high. This is almost always caused by drivers that have corrupted the system pool. If you’ve recently installed any new software, check to see if it’s properly installed; and check for updated drivers on the manufacturer’s web site.

No specific drivers were cited.

The other error is 0x0000001A: MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
This memory management error is usually hardware related.

This one specifically cited memory corruption. Run Memtest on the RAM. Read this link and follow the directions: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic62524.html

Let it run for a LONG time. The rule is a minimum of 7 Passes; the more Passes after 7 so much the better.. There are 8 individual tests per Pass. Many people will start this test before going to bed and check it the next day.

If you have errors you have corrupted memory and it needs to be replaced.

Also, with errors you need to run this test per stick of RAM. Take out one and run the test. Then take that one out and put the other in and run the test. If you start getting errors before 7 Passes you know that stick is corrupted and you don’t need to run the test any further on that stick.

* Get back to us with the results. Keep in mind Vista also loves RAM. I hope your dad has 2 gigs in his system.

Is there anyway I could use Memory Diagnostic Utility instead of Memtest? My dad is not comfortable with me opening his computer to remove RAM. I have also never removed RAM before, so I would much rather not have to remove RAM, or does Memory Diagnostic Utility also require removing RAM? Thanks.

You can also run this one. You can keep all the memory on your computer, it's just wise to remove the modules to be able to isolate the problem (if any). If you must leave all the memory intact, just run it longer. If it comes back with errors, then you have no choice but to remove them 1 at a time anyway (unless of course if you find an error and decide to change all the modules).:)

http://www.memtest.org/

What strategic said; if you have bad RAM you have to remove the corrupted stick. It is not hard to do. There is a clip on each end. Apply equal pressure on both clips and your RAM should be set free.

When and if you have to put a new stick in just line it up correctly where the notch is. Firmly press the stick in and the clips will automatically lock.

ok, I will run a scan and see if the sticks need to be removed. I do have a question: Which version do I download? There are many different versions and I don't know which is best for me.

Just use the latest and greatest...
You're running Vista so there shouldn't be compatibility issues.
Keep in mind this will be at least an overnighter...

the interesting thing is that the BSOD seems to have disappeared. No one has got it for 2 days. If it comes back I will run the memtest.

Ok, first BSOD for 3 days. This one said "Bad Pool Caller." I attached it for analysis, if it is memory related i will run memtest.

The other error is 0x0000001A: MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
This memory management error is usually hardware related.

This one specifically cited memory corruption. Run Memtest on the RAM. Read this link and follow the directions: Tutorial: How to use Memtest.

I would do the memtest since it has been recommended already by Route44. If you must, do a preliminary scan with all modules intact, if you receive an error, either you have to change all of it, or isolate the corrupted module and replace that, if that's the case, you may as well replace only one modlule since you'll have it apart by then anyway (unless you take it to a tech).

Your error is 0x000000C2: BAD_POOL_CALLER
A kernel-mode process or driver incorrectly attempted to perform memory operations. Typically, a faulty driver or buggy software causes this.

Dump specifically stated that MiSystemVaType memory was not able to be loaded. From my research this has to do with RAM and for some reason the needed RAM is not there for applications needing the required memory.

Again, run Memtest.

I did not realise that I needed a CD, USB, or floppy disk to run memtest. Currently we are on vacation, so I do not have access to those things. However, I ran the Windows Memory Diagnostics tool, which is already built in. It said that no errors were detected. I should also mention that my dad finally downloaded Vista SP 1 (something that he should have downloaded long ago.) This was after the BSOD appeared today. I hope that this might update some drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back