My first gaming rig, evaluation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,
This is my first post, about my first gaming set up/rig etc.. I'm not all that familiar with what is a good cpu and graphics cards. I'll be buying this from ibuypower.com since I couldn't put it all together myself. My buget is around 500 to 750 American Dollars. I want to be able to run the latest games such as cod: mw2 and games like that without lag and on good video settings (HD.) Sub total came to be $747, if there's anything cheaper or something that I have selected that is a bit over board let me know because I am all new to this. Well let me know what you think.
Case
NZXT Gamma Gaming Mid Tower Case Black

Processor:
AMD Athlon™ II X4 620 Quad-Core CPU

Processor Cooling:
Liquid CPU Cooling System w/ 120mm Radiator [AMD]

Memory:
4 GB DDR2-800 PC6400 Memory Module - Corsair-Value or Major Brand

Video Card:
ATI Radeon HD 5670 - 1GB - Single Card

Motherboard:
ASUS M4A785-M -- AMD 785G Hybrid CrossFire Chipset w/8-ch HD Audio, Gb LAN, S-ATA Raid, USB 2.0, 1 PCI-E MB

Power Supply:
600 Watt -- Power Supply - SLI Ready

Hard Drive
320 GB HARD DRIVE -- 16M Cache, 7200 RPM, 3.0Gb/s - Single Drive

Optical Drive
22X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive - Black

Sound Card
Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy SE

Network Card

Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100)

Operating System
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit

Speaker System
iBUYPOWER 2.1 Channel Stereo Super Bass Subwoofer Speaker System

You may need to substitute you graphics card selection for something more decent; perhaps 5770 or Geoforce 250 GTS for any decent gaming. Although this may get you over budget; but I think its worth having a look at. Or if you don't really want to go over your stipulated budget, you can save some money by using onboard audio.

I would ditch the CPU cooler altogether, and get a Phenom II X2 550 along with a 5750 1gb, 5770 1gb, or a 5670 512. And if possible in your budget, to fit in a Corsiar 650 power supply.

Are you willing to try and put together a system by yourself? If so, then you will definitely have a better system for $750 than the one you're going to buy.

Let us know. We'll be able to recommend which specific parts to get for a good gaming setup. :)

In general, this is what I would try and get:

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition - $165.99
GIGABYTE GA-790XT-USB3 AMD 790X - $124.99
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 2 x 2GB DDR3 1600 - $84.99
XFX Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB - $169.99
BFG Tech GS-550 550W PSU - $49.99
Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB - $69.99
COOLER MASTER RC-690 - $69.99

Total - $735.93

If you would like to include speakers and other peripherals such as mouse and keyboard in the price then you could get the AMD Phenom II X3 720 BE processor. It's quite a bit cheaper and performs extremely well.

OK well I'm a complete noob lol to this pretty much, but if I were to put this together myself would I have to solder anything? And also I really have never upgraded anything on my other computers so I don't know how the process even goes. Could someone giving a briefing?
thanks.

No soldering required. All you need to do is follow the instructions in the motherboard manual and the case manual very carefully. Also, the Cooler Master CM690 case has tool-less installations. So no need to even screw in anything.

I think you should give it a try. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back