My gaming Laptop isn't running games well

A few days ago I picked up a Alienware Laptop for a trade for my Xbox One. The pc was running games very well. I got 200 fps on Minecraft, no more less than 60 fps on black ops 2, and around 60, 70, even 100 fps on Overwatch at medium settings. I was enjoying the pc a lot and I was very happy with it, but when I turned it on one day my games were running very badly. My Overwatch started running around 20 fps and my Minecraft 50 to 60 fps. The only thinks Ive downloaded was Ccleaner, Speccy, Skype, Discord, OBS, Fraps, Wmm, Steam, Minecraft, Overwatch, and Roblox. My pc opens apps and games fast. The web browser is even fast. All the games I tried to run were just lagging and I don't even know what happend!

Pc Info and specs:

Windows 10 Pro

64Bit

CPU: Intel Core i7 840QM @ 1.87GHz 57 °C
Clarksfield 45nm Technology

RAM: 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 531MHz (7-7-7-20)

Motherboard: Alienware

Graphics: Generic PnP Monitor (1600x900@60Hz)
1535MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460M (Dell) 52 °C

Storage: 232GB Seagate ST9250410AS (SATA) 49 °C

I even tried turning my pc off for a bit and let it cool down. Sometimes the pc will start to run the games fine, but after a while the frames just go down and down. I try restarting my pc when it isn't running games well and it does not work. I tried a lot of youtube tutorials and I even looked at other forums to see if anyone else had the same problem and knew a way to fix it. I just really need some help. Idk whats going on and its making me really sad. Please help me out! If you need anymore Info just ask. Thank you so much!

Btw I'm posting this to multiple forums.

Last edited:
Looks like a thermal issue to me. I have a gaming laptop myself ( ASUS N56JR ). And the problem you described "sometimes the pc will start to run the games fine, but after a while the frames just go down and down." looks very similar that I had back in a day.

Also, you are showing temperatures of CPU, GPU HDD etc... Are those under load or iddle state?

Anyway, my suggestion to you would be that you disassemble your laptop and clean all the heat pipes and cooler from dust, also apply thermal paste to both processors (CPU and GPU) and then look what will happen.

Like I said before, I had the same issue and it got fixed by doing the steps above.

Looks like a thermal issue to me. I have a gaming laptop myself ( ASUS N56JR ). And the problem you described "sometimes the pc will start to run the games fine, but after a while the frames just go down and down." looks very similar that I had back in a day.

Also, you are showing temperatures of CPU, GPU HDD etc... Are those under load or iddle state?

Anyway, my suggestion to you would be that you disassemble your laptop and clean all the heat pipes and cooler from dust, also apply thermal paste to both processors (CPU and GPU) and then look what will happen.

Like I said before, I had the same issue and it got fixed by doing the steps above.
Uhh. Okay! Ill try to dismantle the pc and clean it out. Ill see if it help and comment back right away. Im not the biggest computer guy, but idk what you mean by load or iddle state. Ill give you this. Im not sure if its what your asking for though

While in Overwatch My CPU temp was: 72 °C
And My GPU temp was: 55 °C
While in Overwatch my CPU was at 40%
My memory at 50%
And My disc at 0%
Oh! And I was In Overwatch And It Took Up 320Mb of VRAM

The only thinks Ive downloaded was Ccleaner, Speccy, Skype, Discord, OBS, Fraps, Wmm, Steam, Minecraft, Overwatch, and Roblox. My pc opens apps and games fast. The web browser is even fast. All the games I tried to run were just lagging and I don't even know what happend!
Contradictions - - if it were Heat, the longer it ran, it would effect all games

Back