My graphics card isn't working up to its potenial

schang3

After reformatting my computer over a year ago my FPS has slowed down a lot. This happens only when I'm playing games. The strange thing is that when i first reboot my computer and open the game, it runs smoothly for a few minutes and then starts slowing down. Is there anyway to fix this? im pretty sure ive updated every drive i no of.
Here are my specs. ask if u need anymore
thanks
(my post count is too low to post urls...

i56.
tinypic
.com
/5lyqaf.jpg

I forgot to mention that i play games like Modern Warfare 2 and under the Nvidia control panel it says that my specs for that game are excellent

edit: i dont no what GPU is but it was mentioned alot in similar problems so i will include a screen shot of mine while no games are running

i54.tinypic
.com
/332yqo5.jpg

sorry i have to post the link like that because i dont hav over 5 posts

Ok sorry for all the edits but while ingame my GPU1 is above 80 and my GPU2 is over 110c. so im guessing that this is the problem because people tell me that they should be in the 50s. Im not sure what GPU is or does but how do i solve this problem? ive recently aired out the fans of my computer but im not even sure what my graphics cards look like and dont really want to start ripping things apart that i dont no how to fix.

GPU just stands for "Graphics Processing Unit" which is at the core of your graphics adapter(s). make sure the fan on the graphics card is on and being controlled by software. you can control the fan speed yourself using the NVIDIA control panel or RivaTuner.

There is a problem however, it seems like you may have the integrated graphics adapter (the one that is built into the motherboard) enabled, which will cause numerous issues. to disable it, and thus use only the dedicated adapter (the 9300) you'll need to access the BIOS before the computer boots.

Thanks for the response.
Im not sure how to check if it is being controlled by software. I went to the Nvidia control panel but didnt see an option to do so.

I do hav 2 graphics cards but im not sure how to access the BIOS and what to do once i am in there.

One card is physically part of the motherboard and the other is slotted. Depending on the model the graphics card may not even have an active cooling system (fan) but perhaps a passive cooler. Therefore, you would not be able to control the fan. Regardless, I would download RivaTuner from www.guru3d.com and see if the option is available under low-level overclocking tab.

To access the BIOS, user input is required before Windows starts. This could either be striking the DEL key or one of the F# keys. The POST screen, where the system first displays all of the computer's internal components, is the first thing to appear when you start the computer. This is typically where the ENTER BIOS key will be struck, and then it will enter the BIOS. Since I don't have the computer in front of me, you'll have to try and access the BIOS yourself and take a look at the settings. I can tell you where to look once you have the BIOS screen open.

One card is physically part of the motherboard and the other is slotted. Depending on the model the graphics card may not even have an active cooling system (fan) but perhaps a passive cooler. Therefore, you would not be able to control the fan. Regardless, I would download RivaTuner from guru3d and see if the option is available under low-level overclocking tab.

To access the BIOS, user input is required before Windows starts. This could either be striking the DEL key or one of the F# keys. The POST screen, where the system first displays all of the computer's internal components, is the first thing to appear when you start the computer. This is typically where the ENTER BIOS key will be struck, and then it will enter the BIOS. Since I don't have the computer in front of me, you'll have to try and access the BIOS yourself and take a look at the settings. I can tell you where to look once you have the BIOS screen open.

Upon opening my computer i realized that there is no fan on my graphics card... There are two other fans though. 1 on the back of my computer and one it seems on my motherboard. could this be the problem? i thought graphics cards were supposed to hav fans....
Ill take a picture momentary

http://i53.tinypic.com/346q648.jpg

Some GPUs are passively cooled. Also, the fan would be on the bottom of the card, not the top.

Some GPUs are passively cooled. Also, the fan would be on the bottom of the card, not the top.

You did see the picture didnt you? you can tell from jus lookin that theres no fan. And i could see how some GPUs could be passively cooled but mines crazy overheating @.@

Edit: there is alittle dinky fan under it. sorry i didnt notice :p i aired it out and almost chocked to death. didnt help thou

Back