My laptop display is showing pixels and becoming unreadable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ralphmex

Hello, i need some help here!
In my laptop display, words are becoming unreadable and the screen is showing pixels everywhere, sometimes these pixels are aligned some times not, i would say they appear randomly, they come and go as i show or hide windows and so on. And suddenly the screen freezes and i can´t make it to work again, or even sometimes it just turns all black.
It should not be a false contact, because these pixels don´t appear more as i move phisically the screen, could it be a bad video card?

Hope someone can help me.

Dell Latitude D800
Pentium M
64 MB Nvidia internal videocard
512 RAM

The problem has nothing to do with the drivers. It is definitely a video problem. Don't know if you have integrated graphics or an actual card. In either case, the card or chip is going bad. If it's still under warranty, contact the manufacturer's support office and tell them you need to return the laptop for repair. If not and you have an integrated graphics chip, the cheapest solution it STILL to return it to the manufacturer.

or even sometimes it just turns all black
Good point !

Please confirm with an external monitor, if you receive the same fault condition.
Yes it sounds to be Hardware related

Is this an integrated videocard?

sghiznaneck said:
The problem has nothing to do with the drivers. It is definitely a video problem. Don't know if you have integrated graphics or an actual card. In either case, the card or chip is going bad. If it's still under warranty, contact the manufacturer's support office and tell them you need to return the laptop for repair. If not and you have an integrated graphics chip, the cheapest solution it STILL to return it to the manufacturer.

The videocard came actually with the Laptop, it says it is a "NVidia GeForce4 4200 Go", i don´t know how to check if it is an integrated or an actual card, if it is an actual card, should i be able to install and remove in the bottom of the laptop somewhere without actually opening the whole case?

Thankx,

Is this laptop under warranty ?
If so don't touch it, just return under warranty (backup first)

If not, then download the manual for hardware locations

no longer under warranty

kimsland said:
Is this laptop under warranty ?
If so don't touch it, just return under warranty (backup first)

If not, then download the manual for hardware locations

Noup, it is no longer under warranty, the machine is 4 years old. I´ll have to change it my own, but i noticed, that its fan is not turning on, it turns on when i start the computer, just as a test i guess, but then during all the use of the laptopt, it never turns on, and the videocard is burning!, how can i make it to always be on??

thanks,

Ralph

Some laptops have a small cover near the internal fan, that you can remove, then replace the fan (or clean and replug)
Others may need the entire laptop pulled apart, to do the same job!

I'm dreading that yours is the latter :(

You can purchase a USB plug in fan. They slide into the wireless slot, assuming that you have one. Try Tiger Direct or Newegg.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back