My Monitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I hope this message hasn't been posted by me twice before. I'm sure sorry it it does show up again.. But here is my problem...

I am wondering what might be going on. I will sometimes run the computer 24/7 but will turn off the monitor. I have noticed over the last couple of months that I have to readjust the screen. Not all the time but enough to take notice of it happening.

I lose about a half inch on each side and about a quarter inch from the top and bottom. Can someone tell me if this is the monitor or something inside the computer? Do I need to do something with Windows XP to make things fit right.

Thanks So Much...

MissC :blush:

Answer My own Question

I was hoping someone might be able to help me with my problem. Last night I did a restart on the computer shut off the monitor and walked away until this morning. Again I had to adjust the screen because everything was pulled in by at least a half inch on each side.

I called the Tech Support.. They think it's the monitor. But then last month they had to replace the CDRW .. and when the driver wouldn't work to use the new one.. They wanted me to Re-Install to Factory settings... That was out of the question. With out the CDRW I couldn't back up. I lost 10 year's of photo work the year before because of that darn drive.. I know it's easier on them if we just reinstall.. But it isn't easy for us. So I don't trust everything they tell me .. Today the guy was surprised I even knew that there could be a problem with the graphic/video card...

Do any of you have any idea's about this problem. My in house is up in March.. So I want to get this all fixed before then..

Thank You
Missy

Sounds like the monitor is not remembering the settings when you turn it off, thus returning to factory settings every time you power it off and back on. If there is a way you could test another monitor on the system, or test the monitor on a friend's system. This would let you know for certain if it is the monitor or not.

MissCheyenne said:
Do any of you have any idea's about this problem. My in house is up in March.. So I want to get this all fixed before then..

Thank You
Missy
Monitor changing sizes can be from...

+ Monitor losing novram (non-volatile ram) settings per resolution - unlikely as novrams are low-powered, rarely went bad unless extremely old, or backup batteries died being old.

+ Monitor's HV supply going out, causing less deflection (display gets smaller and smaller), the size changed to smaller proportionally for both horizontal and vertical in all resolutions, and slight lost of HV also affecting beam focus resulting in some bluriness. In monitors without built-in gamma auto calibration, losing HV also would messed up gamma curves.

+ Horizontal and vertical deflection drivers going out - unlikely that both would go out simultaneously.

+ The most common display size changed by video cards would be caused by VSYNc output settings, 99.999% of all monitors HV are directly affected by VSYNC, practically all of them are regulated by clock signal for Horizontal deflection drivers (usually ~ 40KHz to 80KHz). All clock signals including VSYNC are derived from a single clock source, changing VSYNC is changing horizontal and vertical clocks - AKA changing HV regulation.

If VSYNC setting being to high at the HV freq regulation limit, it would tends to cause intermittent partial lost of HV levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back