My new laptop

vassil3427

Actually its my dads but Ill get to use it alot...

Its a dell:rolleyes: ( but oh well...

Specs:
Pentium 4 1.8Ghz-M
512mb DDR
Geforce2 Go 32mb DDR
20GB HDD
24x CD-RW/DVD Combo
Windows XP Home
15.0 XGA Display

Not the greatest video card I know...but I just couldnt get him to go for the nice integrated Ati instead of Nvidia........We got all that for $1,441:grinthumb ...lol just thought I'd put up a post about it

Personally I'd say thats a rip. $1500 for that? Your pulling out all the dough for the P4...AMD systems are just as good but cheaper;)o'well, still......good4you!

I'd say that was a good deal. Laptops are alot more expensive than desktop systems primarily because the parts are all shrunken down.

AMD mobile systems consume alot of power and are very hot, agissi. Intel's P4-M and P3-M are the best currently. None of Intel's processors can beat Transmeta's Crusoe for power consumption and heat dissipation; they're designed for mobile systems. The Crusoe isn't that much for performance, but who cares, it's a laptop.

Anyway, nice laptop dude! I know I'd like one...hehehe...

Originally posted by ---agissi---
Personally I'd say thats a rip. $1500 for that? Your pulling out all the dough for the P4...AMD systems are just as good but cheaper;)o'well, still......good4you!

AMD chips run very hot uinlike Intels as wat Veh said....whats worse, there is limited ventilation in some laptops., I m pretty sure you don't want to see your cpu running at frigthening temperatures eg. like 62c !

its cheaper to buy an AMD thats 200 to 300 bucks cheaper to its Intel equal and just buy a better CPU fan for at most 20bucks...

or you could pay alot and get nitrogen liquid cooled and overclock the thing to 4GHz!:D

Lol, we're talking about a laptop, normally you dont dis-assemble a laptop, and void the warranty, just to put a different fan on the cpu...infact i'd say the fans in it are pretty much totally integrated...like little blower motors...

Originally posted by palmboy5
its cheaper to buy an AMD thats 200 to 300 bucks cheaper to its Intel equal and just buy a better CPU fan for at most 20bucks...

I presume we're talking about desktop processors.

Pricewatch:
2.1GHz Athlon: $275
2GHz P4: $170
1.7GHz Athlon: $85
1.7GHz P4: $132

Interesting. I'd say they're in balance. Intel is still overpricing it's older models, definitely.

Note that clock speeds only matter in this, not "performance ratings."

It's a good deal vassil - especially considering that I bought mine when it was cutting edge for nearly $4000. Very similar specs to yours in fact. It would only be a bad deal if it didn't do what you guys want it to do for the price you paid.

LNCPapa

Originally posted by Vehementi
I presume we're talking about desktop processors.

Pricewatch:
2.1GHz Athlon: $275
2GHz P4: $170
1.7GHz Athlon: $85
1.7GHz P4: $132

Interesting. I'd say they're in balance. Intel is still overpricing it's older models, definitely.

Note that clock speeds only matter in this, not "performance ratings."

I'm sorry but when buying any technology you can't disregard performance. No offense Veh but thats just a stupid.

Back