My old hdd in another pc. both emachines

I have a problem, I have an emachine T5026 I bought new in 2005, I've replaced the power supply twice since then but it was worked very well for me cruising the spider web listening to music and watching movies. Last fall it started locking up and it became more and more frequent over the course of a month or two until I could barely boot windows before it would lock. At this point I believe I executed an unsuccessfull or incomplete system restore, and the computer has collected dust for the last six months...
Earlier this week I bought an emachine t6520 for a few bucks on craigslist, the young man said he didn't know what was wrong with it. I thought I could use it to resurrect one of the two pcs. I pry it open and it's missing the hard drive, so I take my old sata hdd out and pop it in the new pc. (I think I read that the original hdd in this computer was IDE just fyi). I press the power button and the power supply lights up and lets the smoke out of it. Maybe it had already been smoked. So I put my old psupply in the new pc, it fires up but will not boot in normal mode. I am now online but I am in safe mode. Windows will not boot in normal mode and it will not boot to a last known safe point. I tried to restore to an earlier date but there are no resore points whatsoever to choose from. As well, the os doesn't recognise the sm bus controller, video audio and simple communications controllers. I downloaded a chipset for this motherboard but it my os did not accept it. I'm not sure where to go from here to sneak online with this. I did some research and understand that Windows is very anal about their devices being swapped around from computer to computer. Any direction would be appreciated. thanks

I'd reinstall windows. Depending on the version (XP?) they don't care much. And if you need to ring them, say you had PC problems and replaced some parts, it's on nearly-identical parts.

Back