1. TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users. Ask a question and give support. Join the community here.
    TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users.
    Ask a question and give support.
    Join the community here, it only takes a minute.
    Dismiss Notice

My PC doesn’t boot. Fans start when plugged in but they start and stop when I hit PWR.

By Helloki · 11 replies
Sep 4, 2019
Post New Reply
  1. Hello, as stated in the title, the fans of my pc start when I turn on the PSU and when I hit PWR they rev up for half a second and stop over and over again. I might add that when I last turned off my pc it was frozen. I hard reset it and went to bed. I come today, 2 days later and it won’t start.

I saw a very similar thread on here but nothing works. I tried using a different PSU for CPU and Motherboard connectors without success.

Please help. I need it asap for a school project.

2. Reimage

Reimage TS Rookie

Hello!

Sorry to hear what happened on your computer. Let me try to help!

Are you using a laptop or desktop? What Windows OS are you using? So to clarify, this just happened after you turned off the computer when it froze? What was the last thing you did before it freezes?

If you can provide us more information by answering the above questions, that would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Regards,
    Reimage Support.

Helloki likes this.
  3. Helloki

Helloki TS Rookie Topic Starter

Hey Reimage, thank you very much fot the reply!

I am on a desktop that I built myself exactly 2 years ago (to the day). I'm running Windows 10 64bit. Concerning the freezing, I noticed it 72 hours after I last used the pc. I had started a download that looked like it would take a while so I left it there. So 72 hours later, I come back and it's frozen. I turn it off by hard stopping it and come back 48 hours later and I can't start it. By the way, the download was a know Java compiler tool used at school. It wasn't shady stuff.

As mentionned before, the PSU is nt the cause of the problem, as I tried with a new one without success. I'd say it's the motherboard. I'm using a MSI H81M-E34 with a i7 4790K.

Thank you very much for your help!

4. Cycloid Torus

Cycloid Torus Stone age computing - click on the rock below.. Posts: 4,138   +1,218

Sounds like a 'Power Good' problem, but on mainboard rather than typically found with the PSU. To properly test, I would remove attachments and extras and try both PSUs - fully (not just mainboard and CPU supplemental power.
    Careful with what you do as it appears warranty might still be effective (NewEgg says 3 years).

5. Helloki

What do you mean “fully”? Aren’t these all that’s needed to get the board to post?

I’ll check with Amazon if there’s still an active warranty.

Thanks for the input!

6. Cycloid Torus

Cycloid Torus Stone age computing - click on the rock below.. Posts: 4,138   +1,218

@Helloki "fully" = each PSU should be the sole PSU just in case something on the rails or the video card is the issue - heck, it could be a bad keyboard, etc. If BOTH PSU do not work, then you start looking at cutting down to basics, getting error codes, etc. It may be 3-4 steps before POST (like RAM, video card, even a bad USB port).

7. Helloki

Okay, will try, thanks for the input.

8. Helloki

I confirm it is not a drive, not a peripheral, not a usb port, nothing that’s outside the case. I ordered a new motherboard because I need it fixed asap, but yea, so far no good.

Thanks a lot for helping! You’re saving my life ;)

9. Reimage

Reimage TS Rookie

When you tried to open again the computer, is there any display on the monitor? Have you tried going to the Advanced boot options?

10. Helloki

No, the computer does not post at all.

11. Cycloid Torus

12. Helloki

Hey! Thanks to everyone who helped solve my problem. My computer is now fixed, the problem was, as I anticipated, the motherboard. I changed it and now everything works perfectly.

Have a nice day!

Reimage and Cycloid Torus like this.

Add your comment to this article

You need to be a member to leave a comment. Join thousands of tech enthusiasts and participate.
TechSpot Account You may also...