My PC doesn’t boot. Fans start when plugged in but they start and stop when I hit PWR.

Helloki

Hello, as stated in the title, the fans of my pc start when I turn on the PSU and when I hit PWR they rev up for half a second and stop over and over again. I might add that when I last turned off my pc it was frozen. I hard reset it and went to bed. I come today, 2 days later and it won’t start.

I saw a very similar thread on here but nothing works. I tried using a different PSU for CPU and Motherboard connectors without success.

Please help. I need it asap for a school project.

Hey Reimage, thank you very much fot the reply!

I am on a desktop that I built myself exactly 2 years ago (to the day). I'm running Windows 10 64bit. Concerning the freezing, I noticed it 72 hours after I last used the pc. I had started a download that looked like it would take a while so I left it there. So 72 hours later, I come back and it's frozen. I turn it off by hard stopping it and come back 48 hours later and I can't start it. By the way, the download was a know Java compiler tool used at school. It wasn't shady stuff.

As mentionned before, the PSU is nt the cause of the problem, as I tried with a new one without success. I'd say it's the motherboard. I'm using a MSI H81M-E34 with a i7 4790K.

Thank you very much for your help!

Sounds like a 'Power Good' problem, but on mainboard rather than typically found with the PSU. To properly test, I would remove attachments and extras and try both PSUs - fully (not just mainboard and CPU supplemental power.
Careful with what you do as it appears warranty might still be effective (NewEgg says 3 years).

What do you mean “fully”? Aren’t these all that’s needed to get the board to post?

I’ll check with Amazon if there’s still an active warranty.

Thanks for the input!

@Helloki "fully" = each PSU should be the sole PSU just in case something on the rails or the video card is the issue - heck, it could be a bad keyboard, etc. If BOTH PSU do not work, then you start looking at cutting down to basics, getting error codes, etc. It may be 3-4 steps before POST (like RAM, video card, even a bad USB port).

I confirm it is not a drive, not a peripheral, not a usb port, nothing that’s outside the case. I ordered a new motherboard because I need it fixed asap, but yea, so far no good.

Thanks a lot for helping! You’re saving my life ;)

Hey! Thanks to everyone who helped solve my problem. My computer is now fixed, the problem was, as I anticipated, the motherboard. I changed it and now everything works perfectly.

Have a nice day!

Back