My PC keeps freezing

Status
Not open for further replies.
my pc is an older model. dell dimension 3000. about 2 months ago i put a new video card in it and it ran fine for a couple weeks. now my pc keeps freezing and its completely random. i took the video card out because my power supply is only 170w and the card requires 250w even tho it did work for a while til i started getting blu screens. since i took the card out i don't get blue screens anymore but it freezes randomly. i thought it might be a heat issue cus one time it froze i pulled the plug waited a minute and touched the heat sync and it was pretty hot. i can play world of warcraft for hours and it wont crash. earlier i tried to empty the recyling bin and it froze. it also freezes when i finish win update. other than that it can be random while browsing the web etc.

Usually memory, or drivers previously installed to run the video card... Can you use System restore to go back to the day before you installed that video card?

If not, you need to do everything possible to remove that driver...

Then add a simple 300 watt power supply of a decent vintage.

The Dell Dimension 3000 is a decent computer... but it is a home basic unit, and not designed for a lot of upgrades... Use it as it was designed.

I would also complete the 8 step anti malware plan that techspot offers. Who knows maybe a miscellaneous malware program might be at work. I only think this because of how you say your computer freezes. If it goes to freeze when you click on your recycle bin, “which takes very little process power” then you may have some malware.

FYI- malware has been known to pose as old drivers on your computer. Try deleting any old drivers for everything including programs that you have downloaded. “make sure your drivers are updated before you delete old versions".

Cheers, Gord

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back