My second computer is having monitor issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a few ideas, since i took a electronics class for a few years, but I couldn't find whats wrong with my computer.

I have two computers, a good one, and a bad one, one for school work and important things and one for messing around. A typical set up, as they both run with the same monitor, I switch back and forth with the monitor and other plugs. I have had my old computer for around 12 years, its a Dell, and I have used this monitor on it a lot, before getting my new computer.

My monitor works fine on my new computer, but on my old one when i turn the power on, the little light on my monitor (A dell also) remains orange, so if i remove the cord from the back of the PC a message appears on the screen no signal detected, so i plug it back in, and the light goes green, i can hear the monitor sound like its going to do something, and then the light goes orange. I was just using not too long ago around Christmas last, and then i went away a few days and it hasn't worked since.

Again, everything is fine and normal on my good computer though and I have used this monitor on my old PC before. I never changed any settings and I'm the only one who uses it.

If you need more info let me know and thanks in advance.

I think your graphics card is gone. Its generally not being detected by the PC.

Try taking the card out and if possible plugging it in somewhere else.
However if its on board graphics card then there is nothing you can do and you have no choice in replacing the motherboard or adding a new graphics card.

They do go with age so i doubt the rest of the PC will carry on much longer.

Not sure where the graphcs card is located could you tell me where it may be located and the best way of retrieving it, and lastly where else i could try putting it?

Ah OK then sorry i just presumed you knew,

Right,
If your monitor is plugged in were the arrow is pointing then its on board graphics. If its plugged in there then you will need to post back and we will try other methods
backpanel.jpg

However,
If its further down the PC like this
DIY-AGP10.jpg

Then you have a graphics card

You will need to take the screws off your PC case side to gain access to the motherboard inside.

Your graphics card will be plugged into something called a PCI slot that looks like this
pci_slot.jpg

Newer card have something called PCI-E but due to your being 12 years old then it wont have.

Now your graphics card will look something like this
graphics-card-5.jpg

YOU MUST ground yourself against static when doing this. Touching the case or earthing yourself will help with this.

Make sure the card is in and not loose.

Now if your PC is fairly old there will be a group of probably 5 white slots that your graphics card is plugged into. If this is the case move it down one and see what happens.

It could be possible that the resolution is to high due to the age.
If you can try another screen then that would be good. Its possible that either the on board graphics or the card has gone due to age.
If you could report back as to whether its plugged into the card or straight to the motherboard then it may be easier.

Ok thank you, give me some time due to not being home now, and I will get right on that. The monitor plugs in near the bottom but it has it looks exactly the same as you described and provided pictures with. I am pretty sure its like that atleast. I found my receipt for the tv and its actually only about 8 years old, if that affects anything, sorry i was mistaken about its age. Thank you.

Well the age of the monitor/TV is not a problem so thats ok. Its really the PC's age that would require maybe a different set of steps due to the age.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back